Core Sound 15 or 17

Alex

Hi Everyone,

I need some help to decide which one to build, the 15 or the 17. I will mainly be sailing 2 up but I also want to be able to sail it solo without being to much of a handful. As there isn't a lot of difference in weight between the two, I am thinking that I may go for the 17. I am wanting as much feedback as possible so that I hopefully make the right choice as this will be my last boat for some time. Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Alex

I had a similar discussion with myself when starting the 17 currently under way.  My decision was ultimately decided by shop space and finances.  the extra two feet on the 17' will be a little more expensive than the 15 due to extra glass, epoxy, and wood, the rig a little more expensive, and the storage only slightly more difficult. The 15 would be easier to push around the shop and work around.  Looks like there is also a nice tabernacle feature on the main mast to ease rigging and striking.  

Hmmm.  how do I put the extra 3' on the garage without violating the zoning laws?  Both of these boats appear to sail well, so you will win either way!  

You can do the tabernacle on the 17 as well. I angled my build in my garage with inches to spare on each end. 

If you put a tiller tamer on, and sheet the mizzen in, the bow points into the wind, and allows you to move around and do stuff. The CS17 is easy single handed, however that is rarely the case as it seems easy to find "crew" to go out in it. I take my daughter who is now 5 all the time by myself or my boys who are now 7 & 8. The boys are starting to be able to help, more, and it turns out my daughter is very good steering and holding a course in the wind; so its not quite single handing it anymore with the kids on board :).

I don't think the two foot different on weight matters, for such a small difference you get a much faster and funner boat. 

This is a good question as it is hard to evaluate both boats without first hand experience.

They are both good sailing boats and two feet does not seem like much, but being cubic, it really is a lot.

It all depends on how you will use the boat. If you plan on open water use the 17 wins hands down. This can be seen with how well the CS17 did in the EC this year. While the 15 is more seaworthy than many boats that have entered the Challenge, if you want to drive the boat hard in rough water go with the 17. Both boats are easy to single hand and launch. If you need lighter weight and a good nimble knockabout go with the 15.

• 1 month later...

I had a similar discussion with myself when starting the 17 currently under way.  My decision was ultimately decided by shop space and finances.  the extra two feet on the 17' will be a little more expensive than the 15 due to extra glass, epoxy, and wood, the rig a little more expensive, and the storage only slightly more difficult. The 15 would be easier to push around the shop and work around.  Looks like there is also a nice tabernacle feature on the main mast to ease rigging and striking.  

Hmmm.  how do I put the extra 3' on the garage without violating the zoning laws?  Both of these boats appear to sail well, so you will win either way!  

Just wondering if anyone could quantify the "little more expensive" between the 15 and 17?

Currently I have plans for a Jim Michalak design, but as my eventual goal is a Belhaven maybe a CS would be a good practice run.

B and B's site gives a rough BoM for the 17, but not the 15.

As 15ft is just a little shorter than two plywood panels, and the 17 a bit longer, my guess would be that it is notable more economical?

cheers for any responses

Simon.

I'd have to check my CS-15 plans but I think it requires 8 sheets of ply, 2 9mm and the rest 6mm. Also a bunch of lumber which isn't expensive if you have a surface planer and/or table saw to rip the various strips to size. I have CS-17 plans as well, and my Wild A** Guess is a 17 would jack up the $$$ by 30% to 50% after one adds in more wood, more epoxy, more fiberglass etc.

Of course the 17 would be a far better rig for multi-passengers and rough water. The added length and width gives you room.

Well I ended up getting the plans for the Coresound 17. Sure it is a little bigger than the 15 but I don't see it taking too much longer to build or too much extra $$$$ than the 15. Go the 17.

Alex.

Thanks for all the replies.

I do see that the 17 is more popular, didn't realise there was much difference in the rigs on them though, to my uneducated eye they look the same, or between the boats, they are not just the same thing in different sizes then? What makes the 17 better then? Multi-passenger I expect to have, though will avoid rough water.

One thing I did want is the abiility to experiment with rigs, and I think I saw that the 17 can be build with a third mast step so you could set it with just one mast and maybe a lug sail or something?

I do have to consider the costs though, down here in the antipodes a sheet of cheap, heavy, environmentaly unfriendly 6mm ply is $45, the good stuff is $120.

Simon.

I would not bother with the third mast step.  I have one and have never used it.  The problem is you almost have to make the decision to use it before you leave land.  Because if you are out in weather heavy enough to want to change to one mast/sail you cannot do it because the weather is too heavy.  Ever since I switched from sleeve sails to a track with two reef points I have not worried much about high winds.  Double reefed I have sailed in over 25 knots and been comfortable by myself.

I have no opinion about the lug sail idea except it would limit the flexibility of two sails and ability to reduce both of them.

I would suggest you sail the cat/ketch rig first and you will never go to the lug.

dale