Core Sound 20 mk 2, Hull #2

Tom the rower

Tom-

I am building a CS17 and don't know the differences in its design plan or build instructions from your cS20, but I can say with some certainty that the placement of the bulkheads is critical.. The boat changes shape as it goes aft ward and the bulkheads establish that shape. The inboard side of the sides of the CS 17 were well marked with pencil as to where bulkheads should be placed. If you don't have them or can't identify them I would attempt to establish those placements thru the plans scale drawings or in some other way. I built my cradle supports using the bulkheads as you did, and I placed my two cradle supports directly under the bulkheads that were used to establish their shape. It worked.

Hope this helps. See my thread and you will see that I also had a struggle at this point but with the encouragement and coaching here it worked out.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lennie is right, the forward cradle goes under the foward bulkhead and the aft cradle goes under the aft bulkhead. That being said, as Chick noted, we did not use a cradle for his boat but onfold her on Amanda's cradle. It did not fit very well but saved us some time. What is critical is to support the very floppy boat (at this point in the construction) in such a way that it does not distort the hull. If you did not have to fight gravity, you would not need a cradle. We used clamps and props to make sure that the boat was supported well. The main thing is to support the boat at the chine where the hull is stiff, not inboard of the chine where a dish in the bottom would devellop. The next important thing to watch for is a dish in the keel. Lastly making sure that the boat is twist free.

It is well worth the time to build the cradle as the boat will be properly supported for the entire build. If you level, by shimming if necessary the forward cradle and repeat for the aft cradle, the boat will sit properly for the whole build and it is nice to be able to use a level to check the position of the various parts as you install them. In the end you should have a nice fair and true boat.

Tom,

Check out the pics  from Dawn Patrol   http://messing-about.com/forums/topic/5411-core-sound-20-hull-103/

Tom ,if you click on this website, go to 2007 om the right side. All pics and how to's will appear  http://www.sailnaway.blogspot.com

This will help because a pic can be worth a thousand words.....

Hope this helps,  Otto