EC 2013 start photos

Tom Lathrop

It was a very interesting time at the starting beach in 2013.

I almost did not recognize the CS 17 at first glance.

The Skippers meeting shows the large number of people there at dawn.

Notice the extreme narrow beam of Randy Smyth's tri.  He was almost first into the water at the start and the boat must be extremely light.

In the center of the start photo, notice the guy standing up on one of the two paddle boards entered.  The other was a double.

The most complex boat there was quite a rig.  It took him a couple hours to wedge it up above the tide line with a 2X4 Friday and not as long down the hill for the start.  I don't know what all the stuff is for.

post-162-0-42191200-1362416915_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-50878900-1362416930_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-64140600-1362416948_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-34796200-1362416957_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-16249000-1362416993_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-39558900-1362417019_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-86608300-1362417061_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-25487300-1362417079_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-04185500-1362417100_thumb.jpg

Tom,

Were you at the start of the EC?  If you were I am so disapointed I did not get to see and talk with you.

I would have invited you to breakfast with the WCTSS (West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron) (big name not stuffy).  I know everyone would have enjoyed speaking with you.

Aren't those Core Sounds something.  I remember I bought the plans for 'Lively' the year before Graham won the EC Challenge in the Green CS 17.  Seeing how well the boat does in these races makes me even more proud of my CS 17 and of Graham's design expertise.  I love my 'Lively'.  She has taken very good care of me in some interesting situations.

Congratulations to CS boats and there crews in the EC and all the competitors in the race.

Dale

Great pics Tom. Man, I really feel for Randy Smyth. That is such a cool looking boat and he keeps tweaking it each year to make it better suited for the event. I felt like this year he was going to crush everyone else. But sailing a light multihull in these kinds of conditions is a matter of riding the razor's edge. Push a little too much and things can go south pretty quickly. But what a performance from the Core Sounds, eh? Graham, you better print up a bunch of sets of plans. I bet you get plenty of orders in the next few weeks.

PeteB

Dale,

Sorry we missed you there.  We did see several others from the forum and other past meetings.  The crowd was so large that it is understandable that we missed each other, especially in the dark.  We were there off and on Friday also and at the gathering Friday night.

I spoke to Randy just before he launched and wished him good luck but I guess he is pushing the envelope a bit far for such a riggorous event.  One change he made this year is that the amas now have a planing hull shape.  I expect the boat is just too delicate for the dynamic twisting loads of an angry sea.

It is easy to be critical of the suitability of many of the boats but I have a lot of respect for those that make the attempt at such an adventure.   There was a tme that I might have scoffed at taking a kayak through these conditions but many have proven that position wrong.  That is not based on the ability of a kayak or tiny boat to survive but the ability of the pilot to endure the discomfort imposed by the cold and wet with little sleep and such expenditure of energy. There was one completely open 8' pram and another partially decked 9 footer there.             

The open Nutshell pram did complete the shorter Ultramarathon which ran concurrently with the EC. The little CLC Eastport pram is still going, having left the second checkpoint in Choko this morning and is on their way to Flamingo. They've got a good chance, I'd say. IMO, success in the EC is more about the skipper's drive and determination and preparation than it is about the boat. The tough, smart, well-prepared guys and gals are the ones who make it. 

Great video John.  This year the guy with the heavy complicated outrigger was the attention getter for launching effort.  My hat is off to anyone who completes the EC in any boat and have a special spot for those who brave it in little open prams.  Were you there this year?