Reclaimed lumber

Gordy Hill

Ok, this is just for discussion's sake.

I'm doing some remodeling of my 80 year old house in Orlando and have removed some 2x4 studs. They measure   1   5/8 x 3   5/8 .

They weigh at least twice as much as a modern 2x4 and have a very very tight, straight grain and really smell nice when sawn or planed.

My guess is that they are original growth pine.  

A: Seems there would be a useful place for this wood on a boat. (Don't forget heavy though...)

B: Might be worth checking out old buildings for quality wood.

Just a thought.

B: old barns are great sources of lumber. My Haven 12.5 has seats made from Chestnut Oak taken from the loft in my barn. A lot of Oak can be found locally in most of the old barns. It is hard as a rock, but excellent lumber. Planing the Chestnut Oak was like carving diamonds. The boards I used were 14ft. by about 20 inches. And I got clear pieces over 8 ft long. Beautiful boards. I bet with some effort you would find lots of affordable lumber.

To add to Travis's post- that dead wood came from a house being torn down that was 105 yrs old. We counted 62 rings across the 4 inch width of the timber and made a ring of slices, showing that it came from about 8 inches from the center . That would make the tree somewhere in the 200 year old category . I think the tree was probably alive when Washington was President.

• Like 1

To add to Travis's post- that dead wood came from a house being torn down that was 105 yrs old. We counted 62 rings across the 4 inch width of the timber and made a ring of slices, showing that it came from about 8 inches from the center . That would make the tree somewhere in the 200 year old category . I think the tree was probably alive when Washington was President.

Wow! That is neat . wood with a history . . .