10" hatch

Joe Feager

I knew if I kept that piece of 4" foam I bought from Joe Greeley it would come in handy someday.  Started on my seat today.  I won't have enough left over for hip braces but maybe some of my scraps will work.  Then again, 4" thick is going to make a deep seat hole and maybe I'll be locked in well enough.

I sit on the slats, back against my back band and feet lightly pressed against the pegs.  I feel locked in.  If you want to do a roll a deep seat pocket won't help any.  It might be comfortable though.  I find the Curlew narrow enough that I don't really need knee braces.  Then again, I just fall out if I capsize.

In my other SOF I have some neo on the hull with a thermarest foam just to pad up off the keel but it is only 5/8" high.  Very comfortable.  The Curlew keel is higher but that is negated by the seat boards.  I used the plywood.  But the bare plywood and my thin skinned rear end would not fit well together. 

I'm not sure yet about the  need for hip bracing until I try it out.  I did a foam seat in my OT Castine and put foam braces in such that I'm locked in.  Then add some thigh braces later. 

The Curlew is narrow enough but I fear that locking in behind the coaming will be done with the knee and that is a weak area to try and use for rolling. Once I have my design fine tuned I'll post some pictures. 

Well, the first iteration isn't going to work. Did OK until I got in with the foam seat. Then they aren't high enough.. I can fix that.

Those extended fore deck beams hit me right on my kneecap so that is going to interfere with trying to get by without the braces. My long legs also allow my shins to bang the 8'2" frame. I can't seem to find a way to do away with the beams either.

Pleased with my seat carving and the fore deck hatch support is in place. Foot bracing done too. Get my 10" hatch and I can install that. So I have time to fine tune te cockpit area.

Well, glue has to dry now so I have the afternoon off.  So far:

This is a breakaway view of my final thigh brace

post-2922-0-85185800-1361653872_thumb.jpg

Here they are assembled dry.

post-2922-0-16887400-1361653877_thumb.jpg

They fit up pretty well.  I morphed the masik design and one of Jeffs pictures for footpeg brackets from the book.  I'll attach with Teen nuts and #10 SS bolts.  Then I can remove if things need tweaking.  I started out with a 90 degree interior angle but with the seat in it was too tight.  Ended up with a 105 degree interior angle using a bevel square between the gunwale and the coaming in place.

Finished up the seat today too

post-2922-0-29505400-1361653881_thumb.jpg

Looking forward through the frames

post-2922-0-18994100-1361653885_thumb.jpg

Had to sit in to check for fit.

post-2922-0-86860000-1361653888_thumb.jpg