New Design?

rodbuilder

I am looking to build a SOF canoe, and I cannot decide what type of build or which boat.  

On type:  I am considering the Hilary Russell style, do not know what its called, and the kudzu style.  I think the Russell style looks cleaner, but more difficult.  The kudzu looks easier and sturdier but I do not like the higher ribs.  What are some of the other differences in these styles?  Weight? Cost? Build time?

On design:  I am looking for solo double paddle canoe.  I have looked a pirogues, Rob Roy, and several other designs.  I am leaning toward a Rob Roy design in the 13'6 length.  Can a boat designed as a wood strip construction be turned into a SOF construction?  I have a set of lofting tables for a Rob Roy style, how would I go about converting it if possible?

Use: The canoe will mostly be used going down creaks and rivers, there may be some run in with rocks but mostly just smooth water.  (I know the SOF can not handle the abuse of white water, it may just see an occasional rock.)  Being in narrow water it must be able to turn and maneuver well, tracking is secondary concern.

Skills:  I am a woodworker and engineer (mechanical not nautical), and have built a wood stripper before. 

Any helps, comments, or questions welcomed.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have a design.  My question after reading both of Jeff's books is stringer locations.  I would like to place 3 stringers on each side plus the gunwales and keel.  I am just trying to figure out the placement for the stringers on the curves so they will lay right.  I would appreciate any help.  I have not found anything on how to locate the stringers.

As you probably see, there are not a lot of canoe fans around here. My canoe plans have not sold anywhere near as well as the the kayaks which surprises me.

For me, stringer placement is very much a part of designing the boat. That is I don't design a hull and then try to make the stringer fit. I have to make the design work around the stringers and they way they will bend and go together.  I have made my mistakes and there is just no  substitute, for me anyway, for experience. 

Good luck with you project.

I really love kayaks, but not really great for me now where I live.  There are no lakes or big rivers near me, just small ponds and creaks.  If I still lived nears Smith lake I would be building a kayak first. I am in the process of putting it in freeship and laying out everything.  I will post it when I finish and those that have freeship or cad can critique my design.