Outer Banks 20

Ronny B

Ron

Your build was most instrumental in starting my 0B 20 endeavor. Is it me ????? Ronnys raft  looked good indoors. It looks GREAT outdoors.  You are a man after my heart.  I love your selection in OB20 plans   I also love your selection in a tow vehicle.

Congrats on a job well done.

• 2 weeks later...

We just arrived home after a great long weekend at Blackstone lake.  The launch of Ronny's Raft went extremely well.  It was rolled off the trailer with huge family support, cheers, whistles, shrieks and champagne.  It was christened with all the things one would expect at a family reunion.  It only took about one hour before the first beer was spilled in it, about two hours before the first fish bounced off the seats and floor,(complete with blood and guts), and not long after that the first head bashed against the pilot house top.  Kids used it as a swimming platform and the 280 lb brother in law decided that his seat should recline, resulting in the screws being torn out of the swivel.  It's was all just good fun.

The boat weighs 1705 lbs dry.  With all of our gear for the weekend, fishing equipment, 20 gallons of gasoline, a cooler full and four adults, it came up on the plane within seconds and cruised at 25 mph at 4800 rpm.  I didn't really push it, but I was surprised and impressed with the 5600 rpm hole shot.  It is a great looking boat that can troll at 2 mph at 800 rpm; perfect for down rigger fishing.    

The third picture is my wife Lynn and yours truly.

Ronny B

post-2825-0-98598800-1404179227_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-68886700-1404179270_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-81038800-1404179314_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-77457700-1404179347_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-38972700-1404179387_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-58073800-1404179428_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-25357500-1404179483_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-33066600-1404179526_thumb.jpg

I hear they're getting nice catches of salmon at the mouth of the St Mary's river in northern Lake Huron. (Just south of the Sault.) Spoons on downriggers at about 35 - 40 feet.

..................................................................................................................................................just saying...........

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

I think 1200 to 1400 lbs dry weight is very achievable.  I used 3/4" purple heart, maple and walnut for the cabin top, pilot house top and trim pieces.  The 60HP Evinrude weighs 260 lbs alone.  I don't know what the weight of a 25HP motor is, but I'm sure at least 100 lbs could be shed there alone.  If I reduced the amount of fibreglass and epoxy on the inside of the hull, a lot of unnecessary weight could have been eliminated.  My dry weight also included the down-riggers and a couple of cast iron hatches.

Kind Regards,

Ron

Thanks Ron,

I've built two airplanes and now I thought it would be time to try a boat.  Airplanes are very weight critical and I am used to being careful about what I put in the project.  Due to weight restrictions on our car towing capacities I needed to meet the specs advertised on the B & B info.

Thanks again,

Jim R.

G-Day Ron, In echoing everybody's comments.......she looks great mate. I am curious to know if you have had it in any "rough " water or at least some chop and if so, how did the hull perform? I am up to sheeting the second side of the bottom on mine and am enjoying the build.

send some more action shots!

Trev

• 8 months later...