Outer Banks 20

Ronny B

Alan,

I used an 8' spreader bar and 4-16' closed slings.  I made sure that the slings would tighten past the 90 degree point of the flip and pushed the up button.  Once it starts turning, there is no stopping or turning back. If you stop, it hits the floor.  To answer your other question, we manufacture commercial site furnishings The precast concrete products that we manufacture are all cast upside down.  I have a whole pile of experience in turning stuff with cranes.  I also try to limit the photographs to the OB20 because this is the B&B forum. There are also protected processes and products under development in the shop.  The outdoor ping pong table is one of them that is under development.  To satisfy your curiosity, standard products can be viewed at alphaprecasts.com.      

• 2 weeks later...

Allan,

I'll see if I have some photos.  I did laminate another 4 pieces of 4mil ply on the inside of the transom incorporating the 4 stringers.  They are about 24" high from the bottom of the transom and as wide as the angled transom supports.  It is not cut out yet because motors vary from 19"-21"transom heights, and I don't know what engine i'll use.  I'm leaning towards a new 40 hp Evinrude, but it weighs 240 lbs.  The transom is now over 1" thick and still requires additional supports at third points because the boat will be craned in and out of the boat basin at least seasonally.  Lifting eye bolts will be installed through solid wood stock where the temporary transom supports were.

I think pictures will make more sense.  I've made it sound way too complicated.

Regards,

Ron 

Ron: I appreciate the information.  I have really been wondering about the whole transom issue.  My OB 20 plans call for three layers of 4mm ply or a total of only about a half inch. This seems strange to me since the plans for the 15 ft runabout I built called for two layers of 3/4" or a total on 1 1/2". It also called for a pretty sturdy strongback and a hefty L shaped piece (can't remember the correct name for this) connecting the transom to the keel. This plus the fact that today's 4-stroke outboards are pretty heavy. Of course, since I still refer to myself as a neophyte boat builder, I feel awkward in questioning the OB 20 design.

So, I figure I must be missing something!

Alan

Hi Alan,

Things are getting real crazy at work.  I knew that spring was around the corner here in the Great White, and the OB20 has been shuffled in to the big storage building until the madness subsides.  I will take a couple shots this weekend and post them.  The plan is to start glassing the stringers and chine flats this weekend inside the boat if time permits. The gas tank is ready to be picked up and I need another jug of epoxy.  Luckily, I have deliveries into the city tomorrow, and detours are inevitable.  Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Regards,

Ron

Some pics of how I dealt with the transom.  It still needs to be gassed in, cut out, and currently consists of 9 layers of 4mill ply.  The OB20 will be hoisted in and out of my little boat harbour annually. To facilitate hoisting, I added two solid pieces of 3/4" oak, (yup, oak).  Lifting rings will be attached through the transom.  

The boat can now be easily pushed around on it's jig with wheels and the fuel tank will be located forward of what is indicated on the plans.  The motor will be in the 250lb range plus 25 gallons of fuel will make the back of the boat disproportionally heavy.(I think)

Regards,

Ron 

post-2825-0-66866900-1366565525_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-10805700-1366565589_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-06895900-1366565611_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-93281900-1366565642_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-01634100-1366565682_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-84873800-1366565710_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-97456300-1366565873_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-45336900-1366565952_thumb.jpg

Ron: I much appreciate the photos of your transom work.  I think the extra stiffening will give you a lot of peace of mind.  I believe I will do something very similar.

The transom opening for the motor on my 15 ft runabout appears to be a lot wider than the one I've seen on previous OB 20 photos.  Even with the wider width I found it a little difficult to get the motor steering cable rigged.  So I plan to give the width for the OB 20 a lot of thought before I would cut it out.  No sure if the motor manufacturer gives any width data.  Height, I know they provide.

I know you have been quite busy, so thanks again for the photos.

Go luck as you continue.

Alan

• Like 1

The tops of those reinforcing panels just seem to beg for a cleat to stiffen them. It would add a lot of strength and protect them from inadvertent nicks and damage. Or will they be supporting the bottom panel for the engine well?  

Just wanted to mention it, you probably already have something planned.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ron,

Totally new to this sort of thing, but I have been looking around for another build and the OB 20 looks to be just the boat for our waters in Townsville Aus. how do you think she would go as an open tiller controlled style with a "smallish" shelter/cabin up front not much higher than the shear? My congratulations, you are doing a great job with the build photos, this helps out lots and also answers a few questions on the sety up etc. Keep up the good work!

Trev

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I started building an OB20 (hull# 18).  So far, the jig set-up is going well.  Transfering full size patterns with a slightly sharpened piece of 1/4" dowel over a few sheets of carbon paper is pure magic and very fast.

I am trying to get my head around the keel and stem.  Does anyone have experience laminating purple heart together?  That stuff is harder than most of the rocks around here I would have enough of it in the shop, but if there is a problem down the road,(or lake), with the keel, then the whole boat is garbage.  Maybe I should just get hold of some maple or fir?  The purple heart may also be difficult to shape at the bearding line and will probably cost more in blade sharpening than a few pieces of maple.

Cheers,

Ron 

Hey Ronny, Got anymore recent pics of your build. I really like that design. Think I will order the plans. JD

The OB20 has taken the back seat in my crazy life over the last month.  I did go and visit my daughter in Prospect Nova Scotia last week.  On a little side trip to Lunenburg, I managed to salvage a few items from the good ship Farley Mowat.  It was part of the Sea Shepherd.org conservation effort, and rammed a canadian coast guard ship while causing havoc during the annual seal hunt in the north.  The ship was confiscated and sold for scrap.  If I had tools with me, a couple of port holes could have been easily removed and used for a hatch on the OB20.  I did get a couple of cabinets,float, memorabilia, and two small hatches.  These items will be incorporated into my build.  

With any luck, the build will continue in mid summer.

Regards,

Ron 

post-2825-0-29761700-1369000971_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-96092700-1369001134_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I look forward to seeing more progress. I am planning on ordering plans and starting construction next month and pictures of a build are always nice for reference. I was a bit surprised though at the title on this thread. Seeing as yours is hull #18, I have only seen pictures of 3 boats. One was Chick's old boat, another on the forum here, and yours. I wonder if pics exist of any of the other boats or if they have even been built.

Keep up the good work.

John

A little update on Ronny's Raft,

I finally squeezed in an uninterrupted weekend on the OB20.  The transom now has a sporty looking cutout.  Four "hanging knees" are installed to support the deck and cabin frame.  All deck pieces are cut out and dry fit as well as the cabin front, sides and pilot house sides.  I hope to have next weekend as well to attach everything.  If all goes well, I'll update progress again next weekend.

Regards,

Ron 

post-2825-0-35689500-1370223049_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-68181500-1370223076_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-42531900-1370223092_thumb.jpg

A little update on Ronny's Raft,

I finally squeezed in an uninterrupted weekend on the OB20.  The transom now has a sporty looking cutout.  Four "hanging knees" are installed to support the deck and cabin frame.  All deck pieces are cut out and dry fit as well as the cabin front, sides and pilot house sides.  I hope to have next weekend as well to attach everything.  If all goes well, I'll update progress again next weekend.

Regards,

Ron 

"Ronny's Raft"  :D Great name and put a huge smile on my face.

Keep up the good work, reports, photos. Certainly well appreciated!

Enjoy!

Eric