Sea kayaking

pyorgosp

This came up just recently, but bottom line is I live on a large lake/river system. I have no coastal experience so I can not recommend any of them for open water. Just no experience to say how they perform. As important as the boat is the experience of the paddler. A good paddler can get around in a bad boat but not vice versa.

That said, they may do just fine. I think Long Shot has to fine of an entry for big waves. I strongly suspect it would bury up the nose coming down a big wave. In calm conditions I would think they would behave just as they do out on the lake. But, as I said, no experience so I can't make any recommendation.

More rocker will make the boat turn quicker which is big deal when surfing a wave. The draw back is it also slows the boat down some.  Again, I am speaking from what I read but I think that is more personal preference for the way the person paddles.

Removing dead wood at the intersection of the bow/stern and keel and making that more rounded helps a boat turn easier. But if you look at all the old designs that have been documented most had sharp corners. That contradicts some of what I read.

There may be some advantage to sharp angled bows for surf but I am not away of it. Epic boats have near plumb bows and are used in ocean racing all the time. 

I think there are a few hard rules, but mostly it is personal preference based on your skills, preferences and the waters you paddle. If you surf or encounter big waves your needs will be different than someone who lives in a area that has gentle breezes and smoother conditions. I don't think there is one design that fits all conditions.

I was hoping to go the Gulf in a few weeks with a buddy of mine. I was going to take Shad and if I could finish it in time. the new Baidarka I am working on. Those appear to be me the best choices.  If I had the trailer space I would take a Curlew too because it has a fair amount of rocker in the hull   But it has the narrow entry which I know it not a good thing in big surf, but I have not plans of being in anything big. I know I don't have the skills for that yet.  I was hoping I could get some seat time in them and see how they did. But plans fell through so will try to go again latter on.