What is in the plans?

jhines

Are there full size patterns included in the plans?  I don't see any info on the website about what is included in the plans.  I've got wood working experience but I've never built a boat before.  I'm thinking of building a Spindrift 10 or 11.  I need a winter project quick.  I can't tell where the couch ends and my butt begins.

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

We have not been supplying full size templates for our smaller boats in order to keep the cost down although we could. Unless you use mylar you can get a lot of variation with changes in humidity.

We do supply full size templates on our more complex builds.

Hi John,

I just received my Spindrift Plan package a couple of weeks ago and it is for a beginner boat builder.  There aren't any full size drawings of components except knees but there are adequate measurements on the drawings for laying out any part - though some of them may be hard to find.

In order:There is a Material list with totals of material types required (nice touch), tool requirement sheet, a general construction guide though this is brief, most of the details are in the drawing sheets.  There is a separate hardware list and material source lists.  Everyone has assured me that B&B is the most economical source for most of the supplies such as epoxy, hardware, sails, and especially the plywood if you are close enough to pick it up.  There are 12 large plans sheets.  There is also a DVD with photos showing all construction details.

Best of all, the members of this bulletin board have been very helpful and you'll pick up a lot if information here.

I am very pleased with the plans and my purchase,

Good Luck,

Bill

You need to find a good batten. I have used 1/2" CPVC pipe but now I use thin strips of cypress and/or white ash left over from various table saw adventures while ripping chines and sheer strips. I also use a handful of awla. I loft the "points" and then whack awls in place to bend the batten around and then draw the curve AKA cut line.

Make sure you match each side by sanding or trimming with a plane to get matched pairs = very important on a stitch & glue rig.

John,   I have also heard thru the grapevine that the best bet is to purchase all the supplies thru b&b.  I am going to take a road trip to North Carolina  and buy it all from them.  (turns out that we can't get good prices on the good plywood here), plus they know the correct type of aluminum for my masts.

Tom

Besides- they are just plain good folks to get to  know.

You need to find a good batten. I have used 1/2" CPVC pipe but now I use thin strips of cypress and/or white ash left over from various table saw adventures while ripping chines and sheer strips. I also use a handful of awla. I loft the "points" and then whack awls in place to bend the batten around and then draw the curve AKA cut line.

Make sure you match each side by sanding or trimming with a plane to get matched pairs = very important on a stitch & glue rig.

What's an AWLA? :P

I use finishing nails- makes smaller holes :)