Spring mess-about and cruise

Chick Ludwig

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Summer Breeze wanted to take me sailing yesterday. What a gorgeous day! This is the first chance she's had to kick-up-her-heels a bit. Sure Hope it's like this for the mess-about! It was the first time sailing for my 15 year old grandson, Levi. He helped "Breezy" to get ready at the ramp and got to steer as we got away from the dock. (The kicker was in charge of the power department at the time.)Then, on the way out of the creek to the Nuese river, we had a nice "summer-like" breeze to guide us along under sail. Things were great all the way out of the creek and into the river, until a mess of clouds drifted across the sun. You know how it is with sailing this time of year---gusts, wind direction change, HEELING. "This things gonna turn over!!!" was Levi's mantra as the day wore on. 

Somehow we managed to partake of our mid-day feast of Vienna sausage, crackers, soda, and cookies. How he managed to eat while holding on with both hands and both legs, I'll never know! Well, teen-aged boys will ALWAYS find a way to eat. Eventually we made it back. Levi allowed as to it being "kinda fun". Summer Breeze got to try out her new rigging mods, and I'm now confident that we can make it through the mess-about without problems.

That's it for now...see y'all in a week or so.

I'll be sailing around in Lookout Bight Saturday morning. That's where I'll spend the night Friday night, too. Probably Saturday night, too.

Look for the green sailboat---that'll be me. If it's a powerboat, it'll be Graham and Carla. If it's a submarine---HELP!

Going to have to pass on this event now.  Tom can't come down from Mass, local sailing partners have to work, and Doc just put me on a 24/7 remote monitor that cant get wet. Hate to miss it but maybe another in the summer. Should be good enough to single hand her by then.  Safe Fun Sailing, Rick

So, ya gonna make it with the  "Naughty Lady." (Get the potato cannons and water balloons loaded because if I can make it I will be in tin hull stinkpot - blasphemy!), Hokey hydro? 

Just remember, I'm on YOUR SIDE!!!  Shoot the other guys.

Getting iffy - Naughty Lady is being bad, battery is DOA, so I need to find a slice of time to swap it in.

Yeah, wha-da-ya think Oyster? Should we go, or should we postpone?  How 'bout the rest of y'all??? Saturday looks rainy, kinda cool, and purdy breezy. Friday may be ok, and Sunday is good----so far.   How 'bout you Graham? (He knows the weather better than the rest of us.)

Sat
W winds 15 to 20 kt...becoming N 10 to 15 kt in the afternoon. Waves 2 to 3 ft. Showers...mainly in the morning.
Sat Night
NE winds 10 to 15 kt...increasing to 15 to 20 kt after midnight. Waves 2 to 3 ft.
Sun
NE winds 20 to 25 kt. Waves 2 to 4 ft.

Here is the marine forecast for Pamlico Sound. It is not a big deal for our boats but it looks like there will be some rain on Saturday.

My boat will go straight into the wind and has good shelter, I am happy to go. I don't want anyone to go if they do not feel comfortable.

Taylor and I are still up for it in our core sound 17 but it is looking wet. We plan to launch from Beaufort Sat. morning and sail out to Lookout and camp Sat. night and return Sunday. We will go if people go or not if they don't. We'll just go with the flow. 

My dad Paul has rebuilt the mast on his CS 20 Dawn Patrol but his sailing partner had to cancel last minute on him. He was not really wanting to go solo unless the weather improved. Anyone able to help him sail his boat out there and camp? I'm sure he would love to have another hand on the boat. He will have a 2hp outboard so worst case, she can be motored through the tough spots...it is a cruise right :). 

Graham...how many can we fit on YOUR boat! hahaha

-Alan

Yeah, wha-da-ya think Oyster? Should we go, or should we postpone?  How 'bout the rest of y'all??? Saturday looks rainy, kinda cool, and purdy breezy. Friday may be ok, and Sunday is good----so far.   How 'bout you Graham? (He knows the weather better than the rest of us.)

Well for the watertribe folks, made to order. :)  The Back Sound is even simular to the southwest portion of the Florida Bay too, loaded with sandbars, oyster bars and little islands on the eastern portion of it. Coming back on sunday will be interesting if you go to the cape. If I was passing out what I would do, I would surely consider hanging out behind Shack. Of course I believe all these boats are pleasure craft too and have found that I no longer enjoy salt water baths. That went out when I left the bahamas and 70 degree water. But I will keep track and see if the weather bunnies gets this one wrong.

Looking real "iffy" for me. Kind of a fair weather sailor anyway. I'd like to get some experience with the boat before tackling the winds at 15 to 25. With the rain on top of the wind, it doesn't look like much fun---just an endurance thing. I'm sure that "Summer Breeze" would be fine. It's me that's he problem! I'll decide for sure Friday morning.

What about the rest of you guys? We don't want Alan and Graham out there alone, do we?

Well you can sail in semi protected waters on sat. But sunday is another thing. The sound is five to six foot deep on average and the seas are not even two foot apart when the tide is in the wrong direction. You will be sailing underwater if the weather forcast is correct. If you look closely, you can push the boat up on a bar and walk around it, all along the shore favoring Shack all across for Harkers Island.

post-547-0-39537900-1366286873_thumb.jpg

Guys, I am going to have to back out of this one.  SUSAN G. is ready, but the captain is not.  I have been at the Cape in 20 KT winds and rain --  it is NOT fun.  Also, I have no real foul weather gear and no plans to get any.  If things change for the better I might see you Saturday.

Tony.

Don't know about the rest of y'all, but I'm sittin' home listening to the wind, and watching the rain. Guess we'll try again a little later. All i gotta do is find an open weekend---youth group at church keeps me pretty busy! Usually do my sailing and cruising during the week.

Alan and I decided to blow it off this weekend because everyone was canceling. It was a good idea because of the higher winds expected on Sunday. I agree with Oysters reminder of the shallow water and strong currents for those that do not yet have enough experience.