Spring mess-about and cruise

Chick Ludwig

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the website for the Cape Lookout Park http://www.nps.gov/calo/index.htm. Cabin reservations for boaters that may want more luxury than a tent should know that reservations for 2013 open on January 2.  See the website for details. The sooner we can get commitments, the sooner we can apply for any appropriate group permits that may make this adventure even better.  Looks like we may need a "farthest traveled" award :-). Rick

Note: The park's nearest cabins are located at Great Island along the Core Banks north of the lighthouse, and a fair sail from it.  Please check the on-line website brochure for details.

Thanks Rick!!!

That's a great website.

Here is the page on tent camping from the site: http://www.nps.gov/calo/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Click on the map to see the Cape Lookout area. I'm thinking that we would camp along Power Squadron Spit if the wind is southerly, or across from it on Shack if it is Northerly. We can decide when we get there.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be interested in joining a spring mess-about in my CS 17. I have a home east of Bath NC (next to Potters Marine on North Creek).  I will be trailering my boat from Cape Cod to Bath in the spring. I love boat camping and solo sailing --day and night, but I have just started sailing Pamlico Sound.  

• 5 weeks later...

19th works for me and our Belhaven, maybe even into following week a bit. Just have to be back in Washington NC following weekend for Marine Mart and possible wooden boat building presentation - a follow-up to our fall event.  If anyone is coming a distance or with family, is not familiar with the area, and would like other accommodations in the area in addition to beach/boat camping at Lookout over the weekend, let me know and I'll see what I (and maybe other locals) can come up with.  Rick 

• 1 month later...

It's time to get serious about this thing y'all. It's a go for April 19th. thru 21st. I like to just go with no definite plans. Just a bunch of boat nuts getting together for---whatever. If some of y'all want to plan food, events, and such, that's fine too. I plan to launch in Beaufort sometime Friday, and anchor up at lookout that night. Meanwhile I'll be sailing behind Shack, or up around Lookout. I'll be in my green CS-20 Mk2. If you see me, come over and say "Howdy". (That's her up in the corner of this post.) Haven't settled on a name yet---Another Princess? Summer Breeze? Summer Sand? I dunno...

Maybe we can scrounge up some driftwood and have a fire on the beach. (Is that allowed?) I bet some of you have some great stories.

Let's here from y'all. Oh, by-the-way, Graham said he'll (and Miss Carla?) be there with my old Princess Lobster boat, the OB 20 prototype. I bet he'll be putting on more miles "sailing" around at anchor at night than the rest of us will sailing during the day. :rolleyes:

Here's an interesting site with some history of the area we'll be messing in.    http://www.friendsofcapelookout.com/coreandshaklefordbanks.php

No driftwood - must bring your own firewood. Scrounging wood from the beach/dunes on the Shack is forbidden. Campfire allowed, must build it below the high tide line. Bring a camp shovel to dig a latrine.

That weekend is a training weekend for me but I might be able to cut loose Saturday afternoon . . .

Thanks Hokeyhydro.  Hope to see you Saturday.

Hear that y'all? Throw some firewood in the "old tub" and bring it with you. I got my Porta-bucket aboard, so you're on your own with the shovel too. Hopefully the skeeters won't be awake yet (yeh, right...) but be sure you have a big bat, shotgun, etc. just in case! If you sleep aboard, you won't have a problem---those suckers are so big that they can't fly far from shore. Ya heard the story about the two skeeters carrying a 'coon? One says to the other "Let's hurry and get him before the big boys take him away from us..."

Hi, Planning to make it with the BH19 probably launching in Beaufort with Chick (to use him as a "guide" :-) and following him as I haven't sailed there before and have little time in the BH so far. May be looking for a mate if one of my local sailing buddies can't make it.  May also have the BRS15 (profile pic) available to loan (and probably sell) if someone wants to trailer her from Washington to Beaufort and back (or home :-) for that weekend.  Rick

I have one too, but usually don't have it on. Actually, I've never talked on it. If you'll let us know about when you'll get there, I'll be sure to have it on. ...if it will be in range. We can be sure to be near where you put in if we know where and when. I'll have my cell phone too.

I would like to come.  I am thinking about bringing both the Pilothouse cruiser LIZ and Lapwing which I would tow from Beaufort.  There are at least 3 public launch ramps in Beaufort and at least one on Harkers that charges a small fee.  Farthest away and with most current to contend with is a new one at the Beaufort end of the ICW bridge.  Another fairly new and good ramp is in Town Creek that will require passing through a draw bridge.  There is a older but decent ramp in Taylors Creek just east of town.  The closest ramp(s) to Cape Lookout are on Harkers Island.  There are two fairly tight channels for deeper draft if you go east toward Harkers from Taylors Creek that are not likely a problem, especially at high tide.  Going to Shackelford Bank from Beaufort is easier, depending on the tidal current.  Current can be a issue for a sailboat everywhere but its part f the game..

I don't get out there nearly as much as in the past so things may have changed.  Oyster (Mike Fonville) is our guru of the area.