Spring mess-about and cruise

Chick Ludwig

Next spring, let's plan to get together for a mess-about and cruise somewhere. Maybe to Cape Lookout or just Shackleford banks. Any thoughts on this? Where would be a good place to launch from? The ramps around Beaufort are too crowded with powerboats on weekends. We could cruise out friday evening or saturday morning and get back sunday afternoon. Sleep on the boats or camp among the dunes. Maybe get together for a cookout on the beach Saturday evening?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick, sounds good. Let's shoot for the 3rd.weekend. Do we want a cookout? Just dogs and burgers? I don't want to be responsible for that part---any volunteers? We should keep the cost down! Any ideas on activities? My thought is explore the lighthouse and village areas and maybe an informal race of some sort. campfire after cookout. (what are the rules on fires at the National Seashore?)

Would many kids come? We could have a scavenger hunt and some games for them (adults too). Skits and stories around the campfire? I could organize those activities. I would love for it to be a family friendly event..

Keep the ideas coming, y'all! :rolleyes:

Great idea, and third weekend in April is great.

Instead of an organized cookout, how about each boat bring something to grill or cook, and share with others. I would likely sleep on the boat, but a site that could accommodate a fire and some tents would be ideal.

Chick, I had my 17 at Cape Lookout while back. It was a really good camping trip. Put in at Harker's Island and sailed out following the channel. Spent the first night right at the lighthouse and if you've never been bitten by a bug this THE PLACE to make up for lost ground. The rest of the week we tented on the beach at the Hook. My kids have fond memories of that trip. Drinking water can be an issue as you probably know. There's none to be had. I would be very interested in doing something like that. You could also consider making a base at Neuse River camp ground and making day trips i.e. New Bern, Oriental. There's some very nice sailing to be had on the Neuse. Another nice trip I remember doing with TSCA was from Atlantic across to the banks. I don't need to remind you that if the wind pipes up there's nowhere to hide there. PeterP

Chick, I had my 17 at Cape Lookout while back. It was a really good camping trip. Put in at Harker's Island and sailed out following the channel. Spent the first night right at the lighthouse and if you've never been bitten by a bug this THE PLACE to make up for lost ground. The rest of the week we tented on the beach at the Hook. My kids have fond memories of that trip. Drinking water can be an issue as you probably know. There's none to be had. I would be very interested in doing something like that. You could also consider making a base at Neuse River camp ground and making day trips i.e. New Bern, Oriental. There's some very nice sailing to be had on the Neuse. Another nice trip I remember doing with TSCA was from Atlantic across to the banks. I don't need to remind you that if the wind pipes up there's nowhere to hide there. PeterP

There are many places on the back side of Shackleford Banks in which to sail in semi protected areas if the winds are too intense and even layover and explore with all of these types boats with shallow water beaches if the winds gets up. There are plenty of bugs too, but that time of year is much better than mid summer time. The trip to the cape and down the main channel to the cape creates some challenges in the wrong wind and tides even though its a short distance for the real restricted area.

The Wade Shore comes to mind and also allows everyone to walk across the dune line and to the ocean beachfront if desired. Just to the west there is an area with some restroom facilities too, which is possible and a feature that is a plus in that area.

Peter P., I've done all of that. Neuse river campground could be "buggy" if it warms up in the spring. I've never had that problem at Lookout, but I sleep aboard and anchor out away from shore a bit, Same thing up by the bathrooms at Shack. My vote would be for the cape. Launching and returning at the "new" ramp at Harker's Island or the ramp at Beaufort can be a problem with all the power boaters. It would be better with all of us helping each other. If we get back to the ramp by 3 or so Sunday afternoon, we would beat the crowd.

I don't know anything about the ramp at Atlantic. Would that be a possible launching spot for several boats? I guess the sound could be rough anywhere north of Harker's Island.

Fairly busy. The one in Beaufort - Gallants Channel - has lots of grass/sand acres to park rigs. Last time I checked the one on Radio Island in the heat of the season it was kind of jammed up and a few rigs were parked off the side of the road on the grass. I would suggest up early, launch at the crack of dawn . . .

• 4 weeks later...

Hi y'all---just wanted to keep this in your minds over the winter. Let's set it for third weekend in April with the destination to be Cape Lookout. We could meet at the same ramp, or just get out to the cape any way we can. It is possible to sail across from Harker's island before you get to the channel at the end,and across the shallows if the tide is up a bit, and not have to stay in the channel from the ranger station on the end of Harker's which can be difficult depending on wind direction. I'm not sure of the best route across the bars, but the water taxis cut across all the time. I usually go to Lookout by sailing out Beaufort inlet if the wind is from the southwest, making the other route into the wind. Of course, if it is blowing too hard, the seas build up too much.

Like Oyster said, there is lots of room behind shack, and a camping area near the bathrooms for you beach cruiser types, and we sleep-a-boards can anchor out from the shore a bit and have no buggy problem. It's true---I've done it lots of times. If y'all are good, I'll show you the perfect place---but ya gotta keep it a secret from the Jetski types!!!

Awww, let's not fret about it---it's all good. Keep it going guys---keep dreamin' of that soft summer breeze---hey, sounds like a good name for my new CS-20 Mk 2.