Belhaven #30 on the Way

maligno

• 2 weeks later...

Rolando, are you wetting the cloth with enough epoxy? It may just be the lighting or perhaps a very thick or tight-woven cloth, but that cloth looks "starved" to me. The concern is that if enough epoxy isn't penetrating through to the wood (which should make the cloth almost entirely transparent, not white-ish), the fiberglass may cure without a strong bond to the wood.

I had a friend who had that happen with a cedar canoe he built many years ago. After a few years of canoeing, he struck some rocks in a shallow river and the rocks sliced through the fiberglass and peeled it away almost exactly like unzipping a coat... leaving bare wood behind. When we went to repair the 2 foot area later, we were shocked how easily the entire bottom of the boat peeled away. So we ended up peeling it off and re-glassing the entire hull. Only explanation we could ever come up with was that he had starved the cloth when epoxying, so the epoxy was "held" in the cloth instead of passing through in plentiful enough volume to also bond strongly to the wood. That's also why many builders recommend applying an initial coat of epoxy to the bare wood before laying the first layer of cloth, then laying the cloth as soon as the "tackiness" of that first coat cures off.

My apologies if you already know this or if I'm mis-reading the pictures. Just thought I'd mention it.

Wes:  Appreciate your concern; I think it's the weave. The resin did soak through to the wood and the cloth is now buried under a couple of layers of fairing goop.

As I feared after unfolding the hull, there are dished areas near the 1/4 - 3/8 plywood joint though it's not as bad as I expected. Meantime more fairing and sanding lie ahead but it's been decided to skip the showroom finish. 

Posted Image

• 1 year later...

Joined today so that i could view pictures of the Bellhaven and Princess 22. Glad to see some builds in progress. Looks like enough room in the Bellhaven for a couple to weekend and a solo for extended.......it may be that the CS20 Mk3 is the best compromise....im still working on nailing down priorities.

Will be checking in on your build, like the locker catches.   Ian 

Up late tonight and for some reason it just occurred to me, that I can't understand how this engine well is going to work in anything but very moderate seas. I remember having following seas in some rough conditions that the transom mounted motor on my Belhaven would nearly be flooded with water. A few times the water came right up to the bottom of the engine cover for a few seconds before the boat would rise and let the wave pass underneath. It looks to me with this type of motor well that the cockpit could be flooded very easy in rough weather and no way to evacuate quickly or completely. I had a long shaft motor on a bracket that when the motor was fully down the engine cover was part of the way below the top of the transom. 

I remember thinking about this on a Belhaven build where the builder mounted the engine in the cockpit sole but for some reason I didn't notice this or see this part of the thread on Malingno's build.

• 2 weeks later...

Would someone please explain the epoxied rope leading edge to me? It seems to be the only way to treat the edges of both blades. Isn't it too soft and sacrificial? Wouldn't a leading edge of brass be more durable?

Take a peek at this thread:

http://messing-about.com/forums/topic/8515-rope-trick/?hl=%2Brope+%2Btrick

I suggest you find a piece of polyester line.......wet it out with epoxy, let it cure, then whack it with a hammer. It is pretty durable.

There are three types of line you will typically encounter. Polyester, polypropylene and nylon. Epoxy will stick to polyester and wick it's way into the fibers. It does not stick to the other two, so is on it, but not in it. You can tell which line is which by putting it in water. If it sinks, likely it is polyester and works. If it floats, it is one of the other two.

Also, the best way I have found to really wet it out is to coil up the line in the bottom of plastic tub, cover it with epoxy, then pull a vacuum on it. The epoxy will displace the air in the line as the air is drawn out.

I can't understand how this engine well is going to work in anything but very moderate seas. I remember having following seas in some rough conditions that the transom mounted motor on my Belhaven would nearly be flooded with water. A few times the water came right up to the bottom of the engine cover for a few seconds before the boat would rise and let the wave pass underneath. It looks to me with this type of motor well that the cockpit could be flooded very easy in rough weather and no way to evacuate quickly or completely.

Looking at the date of my last post:  Where did that year go?

My build got stalled after fairing the bottom and at the point where I am ready to make the keel deadwood. I have a lot of catching up to do; resuming work on No. 30 is right there on top of my New Year Resolutions list.

But Scott you're right; I've also had that concern about getting water coming in through the well.  My thoughts were/are either to have large-enough scuppers to drain the cockpit or to add a bulkhead in the cockpit as high as the seat tops. We'll see when I flip her upright again after I paint the bottom.

Ian:  You're welcome to whatever will be of help when you build your boat. The hardest part is always deciding which boat to build. Everything else after that will be easy.  :D

Rolando, I was beginning to wonder what happened to you myself. Time does get away. I was looking at my build thread the other day and realized I started that almost 2 years ago. Hard to believe.

On the motor mounted in the well.......is the concern the open slot in the transom and waves coming through to end at the motor and interior bulkhead and sloshing up?

I ask as both the Princess 22 and 26 have interior motor wells. Of the P22's that have been built, I've not heard of that as being an issue, but except for Wayne's P26, none have the slot. If that has been an issue for him, I don't recall him mentioning it.

I never had a problem with this on P-22 #1, and we came through some nasty passes from the Atlantic into the Core Sound and Bogue sound with following seas. The only complaint I could have is that the well tends to amplify the motor noise, and if you don't raise the motor and use an aperture plug when not motoring, the water splashing in the well is noisy. The well also traps exhaust gas and funnels it into the cockpit. Of course, a transom mount motor will do the same when motoring down wind. A "hood" over the motor would help with the noise problem, especially if it's insulated.

I also had a Skipper 20 with a well and never had a problem with it either.