Belhaven #30 on the Way

maligno

I agree with Scott and Maligno. This is how I built the trunk on my P-22 and on Summer Breeze. I ground a bit of taper on the bottom of the trunk before glassing it so that when I glassed from the bottom over into the trunk, it would not interfere with the board. I also added an extra strip of glass over the joint so it would be double thickness. Same idea, slightly different approach. The "big deal" is to have a solid, water tight joint. This is an area with a lot of stress that can open up and allow water to enter if it is not strong.

I glassed the inside of the CB box because of my experience with my centerboard daysailers.  Tiny pebbles would sometimes get lodged between the board and the box walls when the boat is beached and getting them out can scratch up the box. The glass will give additional protection should this happen.

Painting is indeed not needed but it does brighten up the inside making it easy to see if anything goes wrong. This is also the reason I paint the inside the storage compartments. Also makes them easier to keep clean.

Posted Image

Scott and Chick: Yes I left a two-inch margin at the bottom for glassing over the joints of the slot when I do the bottom. 

Posted Image

The port half of the box installed. As it turned out it was easy to attach that side first so I can figure out how to mount the hardware for the CB control line before the starboard side is glued. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Starboard side fitted:

Posted Image

Great pictures, brilliant post, Rolando! Thank you so much for your account of the building process. This is most encouraging -- I bought the plans recently and you make them come alive.

Q: do you mark the CB slot location from the inside at this point?

Looking forward to the next installment of the story,

Lynn

Thanks and yes, I drilled holes big enough to fit the jigsaw blade as markers where the slot will be. They are now covered with bits of masking tape so the glue will not leak out to the floor. The slot will be rough cut with a jigsaw, trimmed with a flush-cutting router bit, then finished off with a 1/4 in. round-over in preparation for glassing.

Two of the holes if you can make them out in this photo:

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

DIYed the double block for the centerboard box kingpost. By eliminating the linkages needed to mount a production block, I should get a couple of inches of additional distance between the blocks in the close confines of the centerboard box.

Turning sheave grooves:

Posted Image

Used a dado router bit on the drill press with a sliding jaws clamp to mill the spacers:

Posted Image

Positioning the double block in the CB box:

Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...

Rolando:

CB trunk coming together nicely. I like the box replacement for the PVC pipe at the aft end. I had planned to use the PVC pipe, but terminate it inside some type of box like this at the top opening through the bulkhead, as there needs to be a way for any water that drains in from the cockpit to positively drain out through the CB trunk and not into the cabin of the boat. Not only does your design do this, but it does open it up for access when the time comes to replace the lifting pennant.

The berth hatches on my existing boat are done the way Travis describes. There is a backing flange behind the opening that is flush to the bottom surface of the berth. The cutout simply rests on this with no latch to hold it down. Thumb hole to lift it, and the cushions hold it down. They have never moved. If you don't have the scrap pieces to make the flange underneath, you could laminate them from two pieces of thinner plywood (say 3/16). Make the cutout on the bottom piece about an inch or so smaller than the top. Save both cutouts and laminate them together for your cover. That might work if your opening is not too large as any weight on it will rest on the thinner flange around the perimeter of the opening.

Maybe I'm just too cautious for wanting to have latches on the hatches. :)

A lot depends on what you are using the boat for.  Virtually all offshore races require all entries pass an inspection that calls for all drawers, compartments and such to have positive latching of some sort.  This prevents objects from becoming projectiles in case of a knock down.  Many consider this over-kill for coastal cruising boats.  You are the one who has to feel safe in your boat.

• 2 weeks later...
Single-handed, it took two days to flip the Belhaven: one day to rig and another day to manhandle the hull and set up additional rigging. I devised the "rotisserie" spin when I built my Stevenson Weekender and there was no reason to believe it wouldn't work here. The coming of super typhoon Haiyan (370 kph gusts! 199 knots!) added urgency to the operation. 

Half-inch diameter lag bolts were driven into the bow and transom with over-sized washers to act as pivots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

A chain block attached to a strap wrapped around the hull did the heavy lifting, one end at a time. 

Posted Image

Multi-part flipping tackles were needed for the control and brake lines because I miscalculated the hull's center of gravity--there was too much weight below the pivots. The bolts will have to be moved lower when the hull is flipped upright: 

Posted Image

Starting the flip:

Posted Image

Synchronizing the flip and brake lines:

Posted Image

Done:

Posted Image