Graham - How about designing a SUP = stand up paddleboard

Dale Niemann

They area getting very popular - for now - may be just a fad though like windsurfers in the 80's. CLC in MD had a kit building class underway when I visited a couple of weeks ago, and there were quite a few "cruising" Annapolis harbor areas. Not fun watching case they fall in front of/on you. My old windsurfers make pretty good SUP boards & maybe a bit narrower/quicker in good hands. Might find some old ones under porches to try cheap/free. R

Latest WoodenBoat mag #229 has scale drawings of a CLC Kaholo - 12' 6" version I think. Or you can order plans from CLC, and CLC offers full kit or frames ($49) which are the only parts that require mucho cutting and hole sawing. I cut all the hull/deck/side panels out of 3mm with a Japanese pull saw - easy. Built the paddle as well = combo of western red cedar and cypress strips "birdsmouth" shaft and 2 layers of 1/4" balsa shaped and seathed in 3 oz fiberglass. Paddle weighed in at 21.5 Oz - 1.5 Oz heavier than a $400 carbon fiber paddle! And it looks way cooler with rice paper designs under the epoxy.

I cut all the hull/deck/side panels out of 3mm with a Japanese pull saw - easy. Built the paddle as well = combo of western red cedar and cypress strips "birdsmouth" shaft and 2 layers of 1/4" balsa shaped and seathed in 3 oz fiberglass. Paddle weighed in at 21.5 Oz - 1.5 Oz heavier than a $400 carbon fiber paddle! And it looks way cooler with rice paper designs under the epoxy.

Pics please ! ! ! ! (building and finished)

pictures - Kaholo & Ex-K (Kaholo modified) paddles, paddle blade, daughter off on SUP adventure, Manteo, NC.

Nice work! Thanks for the pics.

What were the modifications you made fopr the second board?

Amazing - the weight you got to on the paddles!

Do you have a finished weights on the SUP's ???

Thanks a lot,

Ex-K = the stern was narrowed 1"+, the board thickness reduced about 3/4", and the deck was cambered slightly - about 3/16". Also the forefoot was made a tad deeper. CLCs estimate of 32# for the 14' SUP is dreaming - both boards came out around 40#. Only way you can get close to 32# is to forget glass cloth - hulls sheathed with 4 oz - and just epoxy coat them. I am building Graham's Diva kayak now and his weight estimate is on target.