It's kind of a drag

Joe Anderson

When I launch or retrieve my boat I position the trailer with the tires just touching the water and push the boat off and crank it back on. This has worked pretty well. The aft roller which takes a lot of weight at the end of launching and the beginning of retrieval does not seem to roll. The keel is wearing a flat spot in the roller. The aft roller spins freely when it is not loaded.

post-491-0-77621500-1351703102_thumb.jpg

The other rollers seem to be fine. The aft roller takes about half the boat weight during launch/retrieval about 350 pounds. Is this overloading the roller?

The stainless keel guard is fairly slick is this causing it to slide rather than dig in and turn the roller?

Should I invest in a better quality roller? If so do you have any recommendations.

Thanks

Joe, I have had no problems whatsoever using the original standard cheap black rollers that came on my Continental tilt trailer. I launch and retrieve the same way you do. Since it is rolling on the keel I have never worried much about the black rubber damaging the hull or anything like that. I do spray silicone on the bunks occasionally. I do not have the stainless shoe. My "shoe" if you want to call it that is the Xynole that I covered the keel with. Therefore, it has rounded edges which may make a difference.

Hope this helps.

dale

Dale

I have not thought too much about the dynamics of pulling a boat up onto a trailer. The tilt trailer may have a significant advantage by lining up the boat, rollers, and winch it may reduce the loads on boat and trailer. I do not have a tilt trailer. Thinking about it there are times that more than half the boat weight is on the aft roller.

post-491-0-47541600-1351722759_thumb.jpg

I took the roller off. It is reinforced with a piece of aluminum tubing 1 1/2 " diameter 1/8" wall thickness. The tubing is supported only at the ends by nylon bushings. A center bushing would have been nice. The tubing has collapsed in the center. I drove a piece of galvanized pipe into the tubing. This pushed the dent back out and fits snuggly. I am sure it will make some electricity when I add some salt water but I will try it anyway.

I use poly rollers - the orange translucent ones. I think they are tough and run on a solid shaft. Course the wood/epoxy catamaran only goes about 160 fully rigged and rides up on two rollers, one for each hull. Have a black roller on the runabout trailer and it is junk, but I just bury the trailer and float the boat on or drive it on. Steel trailer, so I'll be trailer shopping this spring. Rust never sleeps . . .

My keel roller reinforced with a piece of steel pipe makes launch and retrieval significantly easier. I guess I was overloading the PVC aluminum tubing roller. I have read that Stoltz makes a beefy roller with a continuous bearing. I have not gotten a hold of any details so I will let this repaired roller do for now.

post-491-0-75223000-1352308599_thumb.jpg

I got a chance to try out my auxiliary propulsion. Other than a little moaning and groaning it is very quiet.