Scrapers

Scott Dunsworth

Charlie you reminded me not to wait to long to get the sanding done after the glassing. I knew this from past experiences, but just procrastinated. All the other boats I build were in my insulated shop and it rarely got over 80 degrees in there. In my barn the temp would hit 120 some days and it really put the cure to the epoxy. This hull is sanding like concrete :angry: . The only up side to all this is I got a very good cure on the epoxy and it will be hard to sand into the glass.

I picked up the carbide scraper and was pleased that it will cut my grinding in half. I have to sharpen it after about an hour but it sure makes a pile of epoxy shavings out of the high places. If I would have used the scraper a day or two after the last fill coat things would sure be easy er.

About three hours in a day is all I can stand at once, mentally and physically. I'll just hit it a few hours every other day and it will be done soon enough. :)

Scott, I really feel your pain. If you don't have one of those full sheet sanders consider getting one. Mine really did some good work for me. Save your shoulders for long boarding. Scrapers are great and you can re-sharpen them which you can't do with sand paper, but if you want to see stuff come off that hull in a hurry go power. PeterP

Chick it came from lowes has replaceable blades and is a two handled model, around $15. Mine had been laying around in my house painting supplies for a few years and I just never thought about using it.

Peter are you talking about the one made with a piece of flexible plexiglass, that uses a whole sheet of paper?

That's right. Sander/polisher so you can dial the speed down so as not to melt the epoxy and a home made platen that takes full sandpaper sheet. The platen is made out of 18oz glass. Description & pictures are on my tread way back when I started sanding ( page 2). PeterP

Charlie you reminded me not to wait to long to get the sanding done after the glassing. I knew this from past experiences, but just procrastinated. All the other boats I build were in my insulated shop and it rarely got over 80 degrees in there. In my barn the temp would hit 120 some days and it really put the cure to the epoxy. This hull is sanding like concrete :angry: . The only up side to all this is I got a very good cure on the epoxy and it will be hard to sand into the glass.

I picked up the carbide scraper and was pleased that it will cut my grinding in half. I have to sharpen it after about an hour but it sure makes a pile of epoxy shavings out of the high places. If I would have used the scraper a day or two after the last fill coat things would sure be easy er.

About three hours in a day is all I can stand at once, mentally and physically. I'll just hit it a few hours every other day and it will be done soon enough. :)

LOL- Is this where I say- "told ya so"?? Glad the scraper is working for you.

I've gone to places like the Depot (which will sometimes rent tools), and they sell LARGE sheets of heavy grit ( 24, 36, 40) for floor sanders...I buy a few sheets, and cut it to size. It works well when used for wet sanding as well...