Trolls, Whiners and Others

Frank Hagan

Recently, someone contacted me about a profile picture featuring a nice looking woman. It is not a nude, nor is it racy, but a classic 1940's style pose. It is less racy than Disney depictions of Esmerlda in the Hunchback movie, or Ariel in The Little Mermaid.

After I said the profile picture would be allowed, the person continued to argue that I could not judge the issue since I was a man. I guess the fact that I have a penis somehow affected my view of the issue. I find that an incredibly sexist attitude. My decision stands, penis or not.

The fact is that I am the sole arbiter of what appears on the forum. I believe in free expression, but do limit the content to what is suitable for family viewing. I don't care what political persuasion, religion, philosophy or special interest you have, or if your profile, linked Facebook page, etc. has content I don't agree with ... as long as it is suitable for family viewing and not illegal, it is probably fine. I do reserve the right to limit content at my sole discretion because this is my forum, and I am ultimately responsible for it (US law, the laws of Colorado, and the laws of California do apply to me as a site owner/operator). This forum has been around since 2000 with the same rules, so I must be doing something right.

Because the person said they had already started contacting the other member, I banned them. I simply won't allow my members to be haraunged or pestered by another member. If you can't "be nice", then go away. I will help you on your journey.

If you receive an email protesting your profile, linked Facebook page, etc., refer them to me. Don't be intimidated by the over-sensitive, true-believers or otherwise intolerant folks among us. They are entitled to their opinion, but not to enforcing their views on everyone else.

If a guy calls me ugly, can I get him banned? Frank you run a fine ship and you should know it by now. I'm not sure how much you've seen on other, similar focus discussion sites, but you run the best one easily and aren't told enough of this most likely. If ugliness does count, there's a handful I'd like to talk to you about . . .

Oh man that takes the cake. Heres another vote for the good work you do..... If there was ever a forum that was rated "G" then this one would fit that bill. And if Frank says its okay, then its cool by me. Thanks for hanging in there Frank under these current conditions too.

Yeah, I think everyone here is pretty level headed. We had another case where someone complained about a guy's picture of his family (his wife was in a bathing suit along with his two kids, completely innocent and more like a Norman Rockwell illustration than something objectionable). Sometimes I think people are looking for things to get upset about.

Yeah, I had a friend who admitted to me that he was really into the Disney heroines. It was one of those awkward moments when everything just fell silent, and then someone changed the subject.

I just took a look at your blog ... I hadn't noticed it before. I love the Cooper Jr. design, and if I had the money or time, I would build a boat like that. Massive commitment, though!

Most 24' power cruisers are massive undertakings. Cooper Jr. is the little brother of a bigger boat, with the same concept. The hull shell is fairly easy, but a fully enclosed pilothouse and related equipment and furniture installations will be at least 75% of the build. Most don't realize how big a boat like this is, until the frames or station molds are erected and it towers over them in the back yard. I'm glad you like her.