Book now in metric

Kudzu

Due to the sales oversea's I have realized that I needed to include Metric Offsets charts in my new book. I needed to make a couple of corrections to the old book and decided to just take the time and create Metric Charts for the old boats too.

I just uploaded the changes and the book will show as unavailable for a couple of days while it is processed.

Also, the new book is in my Editors hands for follow up changes. So I hope to wind it up on schedule and it be avaiable in a few weeks.

There is an advantage to working in metrics, no doubt. In a previous life I worked as a Designer and we did all of out gauges in metric. Problem is I can't 'think' in metrics. I think in feet and inches and then have to try to convert in my head and it's just confusing and leads to mistakes.

There is an advantage to working in metrics, no doubt..

Now that is an understatement! Imagine using a system based on 10 instead of 12, 3, 128, 5280, etc.. The entire world except for Burma, Liberia and the USA has declared the metric system as the official measuring system for the country. It used to bother me about converting until it dawned on me that there is no reason to convert. No conversion at all is needed to work in the metric system, just use it. You will find that it does not take long at all with constant use to get a "feel" or "sense" for the new measurements with use. The only problem for us in the US is communication, which I think is really the root of Jeff's problem in having to convert and use both in his books. Most people we know will be confused by info we give.

In 1866 the US made the use of the metric system legal with "The Metric Act of 1866" It made it unlawful to refuse to trade in metric quantities.

In 1971 at the conclusion of the "U.S. Metric Study" it was determined that the US should go metric.

In 1975 the US passed The Metric Conversion Act of 1975. This unfortunately gave no deadline for our official conversion.

In 1982 President Reagan disbanded the US Metric Board which for all practicality ended our conversion to the metric system.

There is a trend in the US, especially in scientific and manufacturing communities to convert to metric. I suppose we (the US as a whole) will eventually change as more and more data is given to us this way. I just wish we could take the plunge and do it faster. I am just flabbergasted by the fact that so much effort has gone into resisting the conversion and therefore technical people like ourselves are still handcuffed by the ridiculous SAE system of measurement.

OK, I will get down off my soap box ;)

edit: Oh, by the way, Jeff, kudos on offering metric as well in your books.

When I built cigar box guitars, I started using metrics especially for placing fret markers. I got to where it was my preferred method for all the measurements. Unfortunately it is very hard to think in metric when you were born and raised in the U.S. I just can't easily switch back and forth. I do try to use metrics as much as possible.

.....Unfortunately it is very hard to think in metric when you were born and raised in the U.S. I just can't easily switch back and forth. ......

Well put Paul. After working in feet and inches for 50+ years and it's very hard to look at something that think "I need to move that back 12mm

instead of 1/2".

I agree with you all, especially as a slightly older person, that years of use make converting harder. But our SAE measurement system is the most cumbersome, antiquated, idiotic, difficult to teach way of measuring. I don't understand how we (the USA) can resist for so long changing to metric like the rest of the world. The primary reason Reagan gave for disbanding our conversion efforts was the tooling industry's difficulties and expenses. At present auto manufacturers and many other manufacturing industries have already converted out of necessity in spite of this. If the most difficult and expensive part of the conversion problem is already resolving itself I find it even sillier not to complete it. Sure, there will be a period of pain, but like quitting smoking it is well worth it in the long run. Instead we continue to pass on this insanity to our children, or grandchildren as the case may be.

In Canada we changed to metric 25 years ago or so. I have no problem with knowing at -40C I'm going to freeze my butt off. But as you say after 20 plus years, I'd rather know I had to duck 2 inches to avoid being knocked in the head, than 50mm. My kids on the other hand have no issues with either method of measurement, they have kind of grown up with both and make the transition back and forth effortlessly.

Ken