Newbie Silly (Perhaps?) Question

mudgkin1

Dave,

As they say; the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask!

What type of paddling do you anticipate doing? River/creek or larger open water, how big are you? how much gear do you want to carry? how fast do you want to go?

Jeff (aka Kudzu) might be able to give some insight.

Try this forum as well, lots of kayak builders and designers there. http://kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Building/index.cgi

Ken

Fast is not a consideration, see # 2 LOL

Another way to look at fast is "moves well with minimal effort". A good cruising design will keep a fair pace for little work. 12' will take real effort to keep moving well. 15', assuming it is a good design will be much easier. I suggest visiting the Kudzu section of the forum to follow up on this, I even recommend a Kudzu design to meet your needs.

• Like 1

Dave,

The other Dave is right. Longer will paddle more effortlessly, and track better (which means go straighter), in most cases. My favorite kayak is a 19 footer I built 10 years ago. It's fast(efficient) and stable. I'm also a lazy paddler, I just appreciate being in the outdoors, experiencing nature. There is usually no need to rush. That's what I tell my paddling buddies anyway.

Although a smaller, lighter kayak would be easier to load and unload.

Ken

• Like 1