Diva build . . .

hokeyhydro

I used a Sea-Lect TruCourse rudder from Duckworks and also the SeaLect rudder pedals.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/canoe-kayak/sd748300/index.htm

For Diva #123 I used a rudder goudgen from duckworks, but on Diva #125 I did the end pour deal as per Graham's plan. See link for my non-drill method . . . http://messing-about.com/forums/topic/8408-cast-drill/

Yes, I found the rudder nice when the wind picked up. And real nice downwind when the kayak wanted to tail walk off course.

The Sealect rudder is not the lightest available, but reasonably priced and slick. You can adjust the rudder pedals for different leg length without fussing with the cables. I ran the uphaul line under deck to a turn around - small fairlead - and secure it in a clam cleat = easy. With the stainless goudgen I figure maybe 4 lbs total added. Diva #123 came out at 44 lbs with 4 oz fiberglass on the hull and glass on both sides of the strip deck.

Can you give any comparisons / reviews of this kayak compared to others?

Love to, but this is the only kayak I have paddled. Today, with mid 70's temp and sun in the sky, my Daughter took it out for the third time, and she has paddled rent-a-kayaks before. She declared the rudder nicely sensitive, just touch the pedal and kayak goes where you want it to. Her plan is to get up with the local paddle club for camp paddles this summer. Plenty of gear storage room under the hatches.

Glass on hull and underside of strip deck for Diva #125. Several folks have talked about using a roller to spread goo on glass cloth, and I gave it a shot. My usual dump and squeegee method works well on semi-flat surfaces but I had been slopping goo with a brush on vertical surfaces = very messy. So today I broke out my foam roller to do the sides of the kayak. Cool. Roll on goo, let is soak for a spell, hit it with squeegee, touch up up a few dry spots with roller, squeegee, done. Next time I may do the whole deal with a roller - seemed to use less goo and it was faster.

• 2 weeks later...