CNC building

Greg Luckett

There are a number of kits available as well as simply plans. I've heard good and bad about all of them. Some just seem better thought out than others, but some research on your part is the real ticket. Another option is to find an older ShopBot or similar and replace the obvious stuff, like bearings, motors and guides, which seems to be weak points on many of these. Lastly, if you want a 4x8 machine, but can only find a 2x4, well the only real difference is the size of the gantry, which can be modified, of course with the related lengthening of parts and cables.

• Like 1

I have been exploring those for a few weeks now and there is a lot of information to absorb from that fine place. I will probably build one of them, once deciding on what it is that needs building. I like the idea of buying them made then putting it all together, rather than making each detail by hand. I like 80/20 products too and expect to make the frames from that.

• 1 month later...

I own a machine I designed and a friend with better equipment built for me. I use it for my business. Cutting area is 850 mm x 345 mm x 135 mm (with current table set up can go deeper though). A good one can be built using steel box section. Mine is built using Aluminium extrusion and plate, not a cheap option but it allows for the repeatability and exactness that is need in my work and the ability to cut metals up to and including bronze. So it depends on what you want to do and how you want to use the machine.

Remember rigidity is your friend. MDF is not worth using even when resealed once cut to shape. it really depends on what you want out of the machine and your budget/time constrants. If you want some forums that I can recommend ask and as long as the Admins don't I will post (I am not an Admin nor moderator on any of these sites and get no cash benefit from them).

Michael