Ocracoke 24

Miyot

Miyot,  Just thought I would ask how your season went and what your impressions are at this point.  I'm sure your still a pretty proud poppa.  If there was anything you could have done different what would it have been?  Seriously considering this build myself and tweeking my wish list.  Interested in your experience.  I have PM'd you.

1blueheron, I got your PM.  The boat is in the barn with the T Top folded down.  When I get it out the next time and I remember, I'll get the measurements for you.  I could have given my console a better finish, but I don't care and neither does anyone else.  The boat is actually freaking awesome.  Here is a pic of my latest build.  I have been busy, but finished this little boat in 9 weeks.  I didn't have to purchase any lumber to build it, I used all the left over paint, lumber, etc. from my last 3 boat builds.

attachicon.gifIMG_9740.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_9675.JPG

Thanks for your help Miyot.  I think you answered all the questions I had in your responses to Oyster.  Nice Glen L build.  Looks like fun.

One more question if I may and if its easy for you sometime to measure, what is the actual height of your console from the deck to the top. I am trying to figure out how much height there would be at the entrance of the bulkhead for the forward trunk if he goes that direction and build the 24. Thanks again for your time, If nothing else, its just a good study of what can be done incorporating some dry area forward.

One more question if I may and if its easy for you sometime to measure, what is the actual height of your console from the deck to the top. I am trying to figure out how much height there would be at the entrance of the bulkhead for the forward trunk if he goes that direction and build the 24. Thanks again for your time, If nothing else, its just a good study of what can be done incorporating some dry area forward.

50 1/2 inches.

Thanks, with an additional few inches added to the main bulkhead entrance to the forward area working with the eight foot maximum on the trailer with just your console top and height of just the console, that should work just fine. Now we need look at plans and see where the running distance for the full sized bunk lands and this will give me an approx. beam to work with in that area. You have been a big help.

• 1 month later...

Finally a little more progress. The floor grid is in. Little backwards from the wooden boats. Tab everything in tomorrow paint and then some fun things like plumbing and wiring. 

Miyot you have been very quiet you must have caught a million fish by now.

PGattachicon.gifGrid.jpg

Quick question, I just took measurements off of a 30 foot cold molded gamefisherman I have here in Costa Rica, and I'm wanting to copy it in corecell.  I just redid the floor and bulkheads in my cold mold with corecell, and it really took some weight out, so i've played with core cell a bit, and we have restored several boats, but not many new builds.  I have done lots of research on cold mold builds, and i feel comfortable doing one, but I don't get exactly what needs to be changed up to do a corecell planking.  I see you put the rib bands up there, but I'm guessing you don't glue the boat to the ribbands.  Do you just glue the foam together while nailing it to the form and then pull the nails when the glue dries? Will it hold shape just from being glued to itself without sticking it to the ribbands?

Awesome build, both boats look awesome, after I copy my gamefisherman, I'm going to build one of those 24 footers on Grahams.  Very very pretty boat.  I saw on the website he had one is diesel for me :)

Here's a couple of pictures of the corecell foam i just put in.  The black is carbon fiber, everything else was covered in 1708.

foamfloor.jpgfoamfloorb.jpg

foamfloorb.jpg

Well dang, it looks like I'm restricted as this is my first post here, but if I get unrestricted I'll post a couple of other pics.  

Awesome boats guys, you've inspired me to get to work!!!

• Like 1

Sail Fish. Pardon my confusion. I think you are building a new boat and it is not yet been planked. Because my boat is completely fiberglass I added the grid after the boat was flipped and glassed on the inside. I used the templates provided to make the stringers and grid. Dry fitted glassed then tabbed them in. I am not really sure what you would to to a hybrid build of foam grid in plywood. That is a Graham question I believe.

High Tech

• 8 months later...

Underway photos.  Can't say enough good things about this boat.  Here are some pics from todays river cruise.  The photos of the boat at speed are 35 knots. post-2660-0-38546000-1439077551_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-25370200-1439077594_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-70938100-1439077625_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-48441800-1439077663_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-28754300-1439077685_thumb.jpg  Grahams design really turns heads.  While getting the trailer inspected at Monro muffler, all the mechanics came out and walked around the boat wanting to know where I bought it.  While trailering, people are honking and giving the thumbs up.  Where I stop for fuel, people invariably walk around the boat and just look at her.   Performance is just as good as her looks.  I get a thrill evey time I run her.

Hi Miyot; 

The boat is looking fantastic and it looks like she's running quite well with the yamie 150.

I'm trying to calculate the material costs for the Outerbanks 24.

The needed supplies should be pretty much the same.

Would you mind helping me out a bit ?

Regards,

Albert Jr.