Ocracoke 24

Miyot

Dave! Bloody hell she's all done. Congratulations mate. What a beauty. Absolute top job. I bet you are a proud owner. 

Still trucking over here in little ol NZ.  Built another boat. ..... Have to do something in the evenings. 

Hope you enjoy your craft. She's looking great. 

Regards

Lance boardman

Hey Lance, good to here from you.  Your boat is a beauty, what a finish on her.  I'm building another boat myself, a little 12 footer.  Something I can beat about and run up on the gavel and sand bars.  Again good to here from you and see your still building.  Looks like she is ready for the water.  Heading out just now for a little ride on the Ocracoke, couldn't be more pleased with her.  Graham knows his stuff, thats for sure.

Dave

Dave, your Moeller fuel tanks appear to have diagonal fill fittings, which appear on none of the tanks shown on Moeller's web page.  Just wondering if yours were custom made?   All the ones they show that will fit in my boat have fill fittings that stick straight up about 3 inches and that doesn't leave enough space to make the right angle turn to the side of the boat.  :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Miyot,

Do you recall how many sheets of 6mm in took to plank the sides of your boat? I'm thinking 7-8 per side. I need to place an order in the next month or so. I'm working on the second layer of bottom planking now and I'm going to use raptor staples like you did. 

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

John

Miyot,

Do you recall how many sheets of 6mm in took to plank the sides of your boat? I'm thinking 7-8 per side. I need to place an order in the next month or so. I'm working on the second layer of bottom planking now and I'm going to use raptor staples like you did. 

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

John

I'm sorry, I don't remember and did not keep track.  I did run out and had to order more.  I think I used 54 sheets of ply altogether if that can help you figure up what you have used and what you may need for the sides.  I will caution you on the staples.  If you can't get some kind of leverage on your stapler you have to reach in with a long clamp.  The staples will not pull the planks together, only hold them together.   And in places body weight is not enough.  I could brace my body against the sides of my barn and put more than body weight alone onto the stapler.  It is hard work and a pad is necessary between your hand and the head of the stapler.  I used a cloth folded up and covered with duck tape to protect my hand and it still hurt somewhat.

Work the stapler in a pattern.  Working from central areas to the edges.  Don't get your epoxy to thick.  I liked it to flow a little as I worked and got squeeze out somewhat like a ribbon if you know what I mean.  Get a couple of those clamps with the vice grip handles if you know what I mean.  I could reach in about 10 inches from the edge to clamp.  They are a little pricey but you only need a couple.  Worked great at the bow where planking was only 8 inches wide or so.  Looks like you are doing fine.

Great advice. Thanks! I was anticipating clamping of some sort, not just staples, particularly  near the bow. I was thinking a few screws and fender washers in key places,  body weight and lots of staples. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again for the help.

john

I bought the air operated staple gun, a bit spendy but really worth it. In the bow area I used my knee to push planks into place and stapled easily. I also had to use some fender washers and screws. Word of caution with this gun, air pressure should be about 75# (lower pressure can cause the gun to jam) and don't forget to oil each day about 5 drops.

• 1 month later...

Miyot,  Just thought I would ask how your season went and what your impressions are at this point.  I'm sure your still a pretty proud poppa.  If there was anything you could have done different what would it have been?  Seriously considering this build myself and tweeking my wish list.  Interested in your experience.  I have PM'd you.

Miyot,  Just thought I would ask how your season went and what your impressions are at this point.  I'm sure your still a pretty proud poppa.  If there was anything you could have done different what would it have been?  Seriously considering this build myself and tweeking my wish list.  Interested in your experience.  I have PM'd you.

1blueheron, I got your PM.  The boat is in the barn with the T Top folded down.  When I get it out the next time and I remember, I'll get the measurements for you.  I could have given my console a better finish, but I don't care and neither does anyone else.  The boat is actually freaking awesome.  Here is a pic of my latest build.  I have been busy, but finished this little boat in 9 weeks.  I didn't have to purchase any lumber to build it, I used all the left over paint, lumber, etc. from my last 3 boat builds.

post-2660-0-87072100-1413383412_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-28872800-1413383489_thumb.jpg

I must say that you have it as bad as I do. :P:D Nothing goes to waste. Just design around the wood that has yet to find a place to be fastened and glued up. If you could just measure the current height as it sits on the trailer inside would be great, if you are hanging out around it. A good guestimate would be helpful.

I must say that you have it as bad as I do. :P:D Nothing goes to waste. Just design around the wood that has yet to find a place to be fastened and glued up. If you could just measure the current height as it sits on the trailer inside would be great, if you are hanging out around it. A good guestimate would be helpful.

Ok, I took some measurements.   Tip of the bow to the ground while on the trailer ( 6'  8" )  Ground to top of T Top while on trailer is approx. 10 ft.  Tip of bow to trailer is about 5 ft.  Back of engine to tip of bow is 26' 2" and back of engine to tip of trailer tongue is 29' 8"

I take it that the top is still folded back or forward at the 10 foot height? Am I reading that correctly? Can you take a picture or figure out the height to the top of your console only? Thanks  Blueheron is working with an eight foot maximum height, and would like to do a forward trunk and a small windshield. There are ways to do a fold down windshield. But the height of the trunk and how much crown in the trunk is the important factor for his needs. Of course a lot depends on the type of trailer that you use too.

I take it that the top is still folded back or forward at the 10 foot height? Am I reading that correctly? 

I laid a board on top of the console.  I got 7 ft.  8 inches from the ground to the top of the console.  That is with the boat on a bunk trailer.  The T Top is folded forward.  I got its height by adding the length of the folded section to its lower support legs and from the deck to the ground.  So the top of the T Top, if it were up in its locked position would be 10 feet from the ground.

Thank you sir. That does not leave much room for the forward trunk, even without the windshield.  That's going to take some planning if he adds a trunk and have any real room above any type of bunk to sit down on it. . I wonder if he can modify the deck forward, reducing the stringers and drop the deck down a bit for his fixed trunk for his desires.

1blueheron, I got your PM.  The boat is in the barn with the T Top folded down.  When I get it out the next time and I remember, I'll get the measurements for you.  I could have given my console a better finish, but I don't care and neither does anyone else.  The boat is actually freaking awesome.  Here is a pic of my latest build.  I have been busy, but finished this little boat in 9 weeks.  I didn't have to purchase any lumber to build it, I used all the left over paint, lumber, etc. from my last 3 boat builds.

attachicon.gifIMG_9740.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_9675.JPG

Cool looking little boat! Did you follow a design? Which one?