Ocracoke 24

Miyot

Miyot,

Can you tell us on your test run what was the minimum RPM/speed to mantain plane before falling back off.  Did she go bow high before planing or was coming on plane a smooth transition?

You have a beautiful boat there! you have done yourself proud!

I have to do some more trials to be positive on things.  I believe she stays on plane with some tab, down to 12 or 15 knots.  Maybe even less.  There is some bow rise, especially if you punch it.  But if you accelerate smoothly it is hard to tell when she comes on plane.  A really smooth transition.  She doesn't drag much water behind her or dig a hole.  I had her in the inlet last week for about 20 min and seemed well behaved, but it was blowing 15 to 20 and we didn't stay or run clear out.  The hurricane and steady 20- 30 knot winds all week ended our vacation short.

I'll post some better numbers when I get some more time on her.

Dang pretty boat you got there Miyot!!! Congrats on the splash!

I've spend the last week reading your thread form start to finish, enjoyed it very much.

I do have one question for u & all other builders on this forum: I am currently building my shop that I WILL build at least 1 if not 3-4 boats in, smallest I would build will be oracoke 24.....the question is what is the minumum height door you would put in it....I'm thinking 12' just think 10' would be to low....thought would be appreciated.

I do have one question for u & all other builders on this forum: I am currently building my shop that I WILL build at least 1 if not 3-4 boats in, smallest I would build will be oracoke 24.....the question is what is the minumum height door you would put in it....I'm thinking 12' just think 10' would be to low....thought would be appreciated.

Well I'd go for a door that will accommodate that largest boat you think you will build and remember cabins, trailers, and such.  I think my opening is around 10 ft as well as the interior height.  I just barely had enough for turn over and I had to spend more on the T Top to get the folding one so I could store the boat in the barn.   It just fits.

Remember chain hoists and block and tackle, or what ever you use for lifting, reduce the amount of vertical space available in your building.  Bigger is better, but usually costs more.  Good luck on your projects.

Myiot, you are my hero, what a good job you did! I'm slowly working on my OB 24, Down to the last 4 feet on the planking, the hardest part I think. Thought I'd say a little about the garage, I originally built my building to store a 5th wheel trailer. The building is 22 1/2 by 40. The door is 18 wide by 14 high. The walls are about 16 and the roof is maybe 20. Open the large rollup door in the summer and lets in lots of light plus good air circulation. It's a metal building. Actually cost about the same (or maybe less than a wood building) One of the great things is when building a boat, is to be able to flip long boards without going outside to turn around. Another nice thing to be able to open the wide door to rip long stock when needed. Again I congradulate you on the great build, Hope you catch lots of fish. Please send more pictures of the fishing from her.

• Like 1

I was just going back on you build, at what angle did you apply the planking? It looks almost 90 degrees towards the bow?I m planking at 30 degrees and having problems in the bow area, maybe I should go to 8" planks and reduce angle? what did you do? Thanks, Russell

Hey russell.  I can't remember the angle of my planks, but they were close to what was recommended.  I do remember reducing the width to 8 inches.

I'm planning on a 14' ceiling with a 12' tall x 16' wide door.... about the best I can do...

Do you happen to know the clearance needed for your boat on trailer with T Top in the up position?

thanks again.

I'll get a measurement next time out of barn

Thanks, I just went out and rechecked my work, when I looked at the angle again I found I started at 30 degrees but now I am at about 10. I changed to 8" plank and solved my problem. I was trying to force 12' planks. Duh! I am the king of measuring three times and cutting short!

I'm planning on a 14' ceiling with a 12' tall x 16' wide door.... about the best I can do...

Do you happen to know the clearance needed for your boat on trailer with T Top in the up position?

thanks again.

I'll mentioned a couple other things about the shed I'm working in (Princess 26.......not a powerboat like yours). That shed has a working area of 20 x 50, with 9'w x 10' high doors. That will work for me. It also has these sized doors on both ends, and when it is hot out, opening the second door helps a lot to get a breeze blowing through there. It also helps vent the epoxy fumes and if you are making sawdust, much of the fine stuff blows right on out.

I have my some shop tools in there too so I put in a concrete floor.  The barn already had water (was a horse barn), so when we poured the floor, we put in floor drains. I should be able to wash the sanding dust / epoxy blush off the boat while still inside the building. Shop tools are on rollers, so they can be moved around as needed.

If you are intending to work through the winter, you will likely need heat, so it you might want to also consider some insulation. Lastly lots of reflected overhead light. Really, really frustrating to be working on something and can't see the line you need to work with because it is hiding in the shadow of your ruler.

BTW, congratulations to Miyot on the launching a really nice boat. I know a lot of people might question why a person would build a boat himself when there are boats already built that you can buy. Perhaps cheaper and a whole lot less trouble. The first time you launch the boat you built and see her float to her lines and come to life...........you will have your answer.

Well said Howard. I, like you guys are laboring, a little tired of epoxy and do-overs, and expense, and 93 degree hot Florida in a 

tin box and I question my sanity at times. But I know and trust that on launch day, whenever that is, it WILL all have been worthwhile and I love the journey and learning so much that I actually rarely question any of it. Miyot's boat is superb looking!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Hightech..  Looks real clean.  Are your stringers wood or are they foam?  I've been pretty busy.   Our vacation pretty much got blew out.  We came home early from the beach.  We have run the boat some but the weather has been weird here and when we can go the kids have something else going.  Fishing hasn't been good here, it is an odd summer and unsettled.  So while i'm waiting for fishing to pick up I started another boat build.  I had one full sheet of ply left over and a pile of scraps as well as some Doug Fir and some nice oak and Mahogany.  Just enough I think to build a little 12 foot runabout.  Ordered the motor yesterday.  A 25 HP Merc.

I will complete the frames tomorrow and have the stringers, chine and sheer clamps, etc. cut out.   I should have set up about complete this weekend.  I'm making no effort to make a beauty, but I am being accurate.  I need a boat to bang around and run up on the sand and gravel bars so thats what I'm doing.  Keep the pics coming.

Dave

All foam just say no to plywood. Too bad about your vacation. Weather has been crazy here to. A tornado touched down two communities over. We were enjoying sunny and calm at the same time. It was nothing like the poor souls in the mid-west but scary enough. The runabout will be a fun and practical tool. There is nothing in the world like building a boat.

I'll send more pics as I progress.

PG 

• 2 weeks later...

Dave! Bloody hell she's all done. Congratulations mate. What a beauty. Absolute top job. I bet you are a proud owner. 

Still trucking over here in little ol NZ.  Built another boat. ..... Have to do something in the evenings. 

Hope you enjoy your craft. She's looking great. 

Regards

Lance boardman

post-1597-0-77540700-1407665325_thumb.jpg