Ocracoke 24

Miyot

• 2 weeks later...

Miyot congratulations!!!!!!!! I can not wait to hear the performance numbers. Could you please post a profile shot when you get a chance. I know it is tight in the barn. Best of luck tomorrow. I hope you have a bottle of champagne ready. A scored bottle for christening and a good bottle for drinking.

PG 

Out the door for trailer inspection and then on to the river for a test run.  The Ohio river is up about 7 ft and a little muddy.  If it looks ok I'll post some pics and hopefully some performance numbers this evening.  Here it is outside the barn.

post-2660-0-07689500-1403794590_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-50128900-1403794611_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-50930800-1403794633_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-82510000-1403794655_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-21514600-1403794677_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-90699200-1403794697_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

In the water.  The river was up a good 8 ft and muddy with some debris and a few logs.  Not good for a test run, but I kept a close eye and things went well.  Current was 3 knots in places.  I should probably raise the engine a notch, but here are some performance numbers.  Yamaha 150 4 stroke turning a 14 1/2 X 17 aluminum prop.  RPM's, 5300 was all I could get.  Specs call for 5500 to 6000.  At 5300 rpm's I got 37 knots, or 42.55 MPH.  I carried 30 gallons in the forward tank and 10 gallons in the aft tank.    The boat sat really pretty with the scuppers 3 to 4 inches above the water line at rest.  Total fuel cap. is 80 gallons.

I ran the boat 3 hrs and I'm still not sure just where cruise is at.  At about 3300 rpm's I got around 20 to 21 knots.  I should have taken a pad and pencil with me but just forgot with every thing else to think about today.  I will post some more accurate numbers in the future.  25 knots took about 4000 - 4200 rpm's.  The boat  was sensitive to prop torque and a little tab was used to level her out.  No engine trim was really used much.  Engine trim was mostly down all the way.  A touch or two up may have freed her a bit but seemed to like the engine down.\

I ran south a bit to a narrow place where many barges are moored and working.  There is always a good chop there.  At speed (about 20 knots)  she got  just a little rough in a steep 1 to 1 1/2 foot chop.  Using a little down tab really smoothed her out.  Not much tab was needed to make adjustments.  She flies.  She bleeds off some speed in hard turns like all boats seem to, but not a lot and she was solid.  Well behaved, with no problems.  Like has been said before, feels like she is on rails.  I could not be happier.  Can't wait to see how she does in a sea.  What a nice boat Graham has designed.  Here are some pics.  Some more solid numbers later.

post-2660-0-91488500-1403838995_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-93421400-1403839012_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-35766200-1403839040_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-92749000-1403839064_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-31096200-1403839091_thumb.jpg

One more thing.  It was a little breezy and she was dry.  I never felt a drop of spray the entire time.  Thanks all for the nice comments.  The hard work was well worth it!

Using a little tab she would stay on plane down to at least  2300 rp's. if not slower.  sweet

• Like 1

Beautiful boat Miyot!  Congratulations on a job well done!  Can't wait to get to that day with mine.  Having a tough time getting the paint right but it's coming along.

Thanks fishman.  Hey, once you get the inside bottom glassed and start decking, things will move quickly.  Take your time with the fuel tank install.  This just takes a while.  Keep pushing ahead.

Looks so nice sitting in the water, Great job!!! I like the sound of those performance numbers. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! I think it is now time to work on the basement.

Thanks Hightech.  The basement will wait a while.  I'm going fishing.

Miyot,

I have been following your build from the day that the first post was entered on this forum.  There were days that I was fed up with the whole thing and I'm sure you were as well.  It was always refreshing and inspiring to read your posts.  Your persistence and determination resulted in a beautiful boat that you should be very proud of.

Congratulations on a job well done!!

Ronny B

( Ronny's Raft will be launched tomorrow and hopefully as successful as yours) 

• Like 1

Thanks Ronny B.  I lost two months of build time because I was sick of it.  I tried to work on it but just couldn't.  Total burnout.  I put an easy 160 hrs on it the last two weeks and could not be pulled away from it.  Thats how it goes.  Good luck with your launching. Its a little nerve wracking with a new boat, but I'm sure things will go well for you.

Dave