Ocracoke 24

Miyot

• 2 weeks later...

Engine install at the dealers shop.  The transom cut out was just perfect.  Rick, the mechanic at Portage lakes marine, has done a really nice job installing the engine and gauges.  I'll get some detail pics later.  I couldn't figure out how to work the camera so my daughter took some with her phone.  I don't think the engine will need to be moved up, anyhow it looks just right.  Some performance runs will be done soon.  We are starting with an aluminum prop to get dialed in and I'll get a stainless one after seeing what she turns.

post-2660-0-92360700-1397698856_thumb.jpegpost-2660-0-78768600-1397698872_thumb.jpegpost-2660-0-36867300-1397698892_thumb.jpegpost-2660-0-69955100-1397698921_thumb.jpeg

What a great thread and job you have done. I visited Graham at the shop this winter and it has given me the bug to do what you are almost finished doing. I get the not perfect part that worries all of us non experts. It is not that we need the perfection for ourselves, it is the respect for the designer and what we know the result could be. In the end the use by you and family and friends determine the success of your project. I salute your efforts and can't wait for splash pictures. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks slaudeman.  Hightech, lets see some progress pics.  Here are some of my recent pics.  I would rather of had the rigging hose underneath the hydraulic hoses.  It weighs a little and will cause the hyd hoses to chafe on the splash well deck.  I installed the hydraulic hoses before the Yamaha dealership installed the rigging hose.  I'm going to rig a strap to carry the weight of the rigging hose, holding it off the deck and the hoses.

post-2660-0-05873800-1398479247_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-41857600-1398479278_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-72980200-1398479338_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-14682800-1398479370_thumb.jpg

Different from the wooden ones. It is a little light. I can pick the bow up by myself. I am going to put the stringers gas tank and dry fit the cockpit sole weigh it and add lead if I have to. Changed my mind on the motor. Going with a Yamaha 175. I can get it on a deal from my local Yamaha dealer. He wants to use it as a demo boat. There is some professional price break he gets. Only 4 cylinders which surprises me. Might use the wireless shifter also. Trying desperately to make Grahams rendezvous in October. Not sure if I can. I have lots of friends in Oriental NC so it would be fun and easy. I am looking forward to meeting up with you this summer for a ride on yours.

PG

Glassing the topsides.  I'll run the deck glass up to the first stringer and run a fillet to hide the seam.  If I can get the deck glassed and a coat of primer on everything  I'll put it in the water next weekend and start the break in and see how everything works.  I'm pushing to finish in early to mid June. 

post-2660-0-22864600-1399243920_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-90370100-1399243949_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-35147700-1399243988_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-74628000-1399244027_thumb.jpg

Miyot looks great!! You getting closer. This always the exciting part. The infamous countdown. Always searching for something out of the box I found the enclosed for a leaning post. I found a web site that had something that also looked like it they called it a rocket launcher. It can mount on a post or go right into the fighting chair.  I thought the rocket launcher was the rod holders themselves. Whole new world for me.

I am looking forward to my ride.

PG

post-2937-0-99854300-1399245827_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Making progress Miyot. Looking great. Did you ever do the test run? 

The river was high and muddy so I just kept working on the boat.  Two more weeks will see the boat finished.  There will be some things to add here and there and some painting and varnish to do but its nearly done.

Moving forward.  Getting ready for side decks, and the aft and forward compartment decks.  Its coming together quickly now.  I can't wait to launch her.  Here are some progress pics.

post-2660-0-64305600-1400982873_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-87922000-1400982900_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-78446400-1400982924_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-21965000-1400982955_thumb.jpg

I had to shim the forward bulkhead 1/2 inch and the next station aft as well, to come up to the height of the shear clamp.  I don't know if this was a mistake on my part or being the first one built was a discrepancy in the plans.  I know the plans have been updated since I bought mine a year and a half ago.  It was no big deal to shim these two stations up, and I'm really pleased with how fair the installation is.  I have to give credit to Graham for such a straight forward set of plans and a really pretty boat.  I couldn't be more pleased with the boat and its ease of construction.  

Side decks, rub rails, paint and varnish and some electrical work and in goes the T Top and leaning post.  I could have spent more time on fairing and fine detail work but after all she is a fishing boat.  Thanks Graham for one of the finest little sport fishing boats around and a wonderful design.  Pics of the finished boat will be coming soon.  Its been a busy Year and a half of boat building.  Some of the  best days of my life.

post-2660-0-76197300-1400984687_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well the side decks or gunwales are glued and glassed and I am moving forward quickly now.  I have the summer off, so I am now a full time boat builder.  From the console aft, the gunwales are mahogany.  I choose not to glass these but just varnish them.  I glued the aft deck on the compartments today as well.  I am going to glue (epoxy) 3/8" thick mahogany strips on top of the aft compartment deck so the aft deck and gunwales forward to the console are varnished mahogany.

Tomorrow is clean up and some detail work and I'll begin painting the interior Friday.  I hope to install the T Top and leaning post as well as hatches early next week.  Then the rub rails, cleats, some bling and presto, it will be done.  I have all that I need to complete the boat laying on the living room floor.  My wife just loves this.  My estimate of 2 weeks to completion has turned into a month.  But I am close.  I got my HMS tuna permit, some new line and such and I'm a busy guy.  I'll get some performance specs up asap.  Also some pics as soon as Frank gets this image upload thing figured out.