Ocracoke 24

Miyot

Hey Hightech.  No basement work until the boat is finished.  I have just completed the bed for the main fuel tank.  Some fitting work and install and glue the neoprene and I'll be ready to install both tanks.  I have all the hardware and I'm figuring out where to drill holes for wiring and main fuel lines.  I got nice flush mount fuel vents.  They only stick out about 1/8".  I have my chase for the wiring,shiftcables and hyd steering hoses.  Also I have the trim tabs (Bennett) and hardware and they are ready for install as well.  I got my wire for running power up to my console with hardware (bus bars, etc)   After I install the tanks I will deck up to station 6 before doing any more work forward.  Still lots to figure out.  I also purchased my Chartplotter and sounder (Garmin 547XS)  with Chirp transducer (I got it now so I can run the ducer cable now).  I can't wait to get some decking down, I'm tired of tripping all over the place trying to move around the boat. 

I'll get some pics up before I deck her over.  I'm pressing forward working on it every day.  But not with the energy I had in the beginning.  I'm glad most of my fuel tank work is done.  Your boat looks clean, keep the pics coming.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Fuel tank installation.  Still waiting on hose hangers to tidy up the fuel hose runs.  I still have to permanently install the wiring  chase and run the transducer cable and install the bilge pump.  

Tomorrow I'm going to cut and fit some deck, moving around the boat is difficult.

post-2660-0-95926300-1385853415_thumb.jpg  What a mess the boat is.  post-2660-0-86659600-1385853460_thumb.jpg

Looking good Miyot. How did you determine where to put the fuel tanks? Were you limited by the bulkheads? I didn't envision them that far back.

3 coats of 545. I have to stop tinkering with the shape. I am on schedule to flip on Sunday. Just found out I will be in New Orleans for the month of January then Seattle the first two weeks in February. Not much will get done after flipping.I'm afraid. One more good long board session and over she goes.

PG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hurt my knee back in December and couldn't climb in the boat for two weeks.  It still isn't right but I'm back on the boat.  I just don't have the energy to put the hrs in I did before but I'm still making progress.  I have nearly completed my console.  I'll get the engine installed, hopefully in early March.  Still shooting for a May or June launching.  Still a long ways to go.  I'll get some pics up of the console construction.  

We have had a lot of bitter cold weather.  This has slowed progress as well.  The coldest days the barn was just to cold for epoxy work.  Looks like our weather will improve some shortly.  Have you made any progress.  Post some pics when you can.  Spring is coming hard and fast.  If I could get really motivated the boat would finish up before you know it.  Can't wait.

Too bad about the knee problem Miyot.  Had to have a "floater" (piece of meniscus) removed from one a mine a couple of years ago.  No fun.  Had a little of that cold weather here as well.  Luckily my shop is heated so not much of a problem. 

You were right about fitting the planking getting easier.  I got five planks glued up today, best day yet.  Got about 3 more feet to go to finish.  (The planking of course) 

Good luck with the knee.

Miyot

I have made little progress. I have been so busy with work. I have been on the road all but 10 days since the first of the year. March is not looking much better for boat building.  I am trying to get the inside glassed and the stringers installed. I did order my fuel tank and it is nearly done. I have all the materials just no time. Hope your knee feels better. I have had 3 operations on each knee. Mostly clean outs. No Fun. 

PG

A little progress.  The console is 5/8 thick.  I ran low on the 1/2 ply, so laminated a layer of 3/8 and 1/4.  Nice and beefy.  

post-2660-0-26723400-1393112080_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-74953900-1393112130_thumb.jpg

I have hatches for the console, but left the front seat back unglued for access to wire and run cables.  I believe i'll glue the lower half after wiring is complete and just screw on the top of the seat back on so I can really get in the console later for any work.  After I install the hatches, i'll see how easy access is to everything.  If it is all accessible thru the hatches i'll glue up the upper section of the seat back.  Trying to get ready for engine install.  Coming in next week or two.  

Nice work Miyot.  Is the console your design?  Maybe wider than I would like but necessary for a two seater in front.  I like the driver's seat with rod holders etc mounted there.  Again is it custom made to your specs?  I had sort of thought I would go with a "T-Top" , which looks nice but considering I would probably have to have it custom made on the east coast and cost a bundle, not to mention it could be effective shade for maybe only an hour around noon, I like your scheme better.

Fishman, Graham had a console drawn on my plans.  I scaled the measurements off the plans, added a front seat and sloped the dash.  Pretty good fit.  I ordered my leaning post from Birdsall marine.  They have many designs and I ordered one to fit my boat.  They also made me a custom T Top which folds to fit in my barn.  I sent them a drawing of my console, they built a mock up of it and built the T Top to fit it.  Shipping was expensive as I live far from the coast.  It had to be shipped upright as it is welded and sized to the console.  I consider the T Top a necessity.  I also got a wrap around wind screen that encloses the console.  Some call them a phone booth.  Wind and weather protection.  The console will be the same color as the hull.  They also made me matching cushions for the forward seat and leaning post.  Very nice and expensive.  

You can get cheaper T Tops which are shipped in a box and you assemble them and can be adjusted to fit most consoles.  Check out Stryker T Tops, also Jamestown distributors carries some that can be shipped.  Can't remember the names of them.  Some are aluminum and some stainless steel.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed hydraulics for trim tabs and wired switch for bilge pump, everything working.  I will install, glass and paint the motor splash well this week.  Engine install coming next Saturday.  I'm on a push to finish the boat.  After engine install, I'll glass the inside of the boat.  Including the console and decks.  Then begin work on the gunwales.  They will be varnished Mahogany, stem to stern.  Here are some progress pics.

post-2660-0-12223000-1394237107_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-05760500-1394237139_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-25583400-1394237172_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-90730600-1394237200_thumb.jpg

I had planned on putting the batteries in the console.  It would have been a long run with heavy wire, so I opted to put them at the transom.  One port and one starboard.  I'm wondering where the scuppers will be at.  I think with the 150 4 stroke I'll be ok.  If not I can always opt to move the batteries to the console.  I worked out a wiring run just in case.