Ocracoke 24

Miyot

BTW, congrats on completing the planking.  I'm just getting started planking and am now going to take a couple weeks off to fish and "meditate" on how to proceed.

One question about the planking: is the top (chine) end of the side planks glued and (temporarily) screwed to only the edge grain of the chine flat?  Intuitively it seems that there should be  a stringer there (at the outer edge of the flat) to fasten it to as well as the end of the planks.  Seems I saw such on one of your pics but it doesn't show up on my OC20 plans.  I think Graham calls for several layers of glass across that joint which I'm sure provides plenty of strength but is a hard concept to get used to. 

Yes, the side planking is just glued to the end grain of the chine.  I considered a stringer here as well, but went with the design.  This joint will get 3 layers of glass on the outside.  Tape and two overlaps of the bottom and side glass. Also the inside at this joint will get a good fillet of resin and cabosil and a layer of glass as well.  This  design eliminates the big chine batten, which would take a lot of work planing.  Then an external spray rail would have to be added.   I'm not going to add a spray rail as I think the reverse chine looks better than an external rail.  Some add the spray rail even with the built in chine.  I'm not.

I've seen some other big builders use this type of design  design as well.  I think this saves a lot of building time and looks better as well.

Hi Miyot. For me and all my friends this is the first powerboat. We actually built an 8 meter sailing vessel in the same location. It was all cold molded It didn't go this quick I tell you. Thanks for the complements, your boat looks great to. One fantasy of mine would be able to put the two boats together and cruise around. It's a small world one never knows.

Sanding next. 

PG

G'day Miyot. Congratulations to your build! Looks really awesome so far and makes me somewhat jealous for not being in the same stage by now. I seriously consider building that boat, too - just a tiny concern left so far, as maximum traier width in most European Countries is limited to 255 cm without special permit. Not a real knock out criteria, but life's just more calm without running to authorities... I already addressed this to Graham Byrnes as well, but so far didn't get reply and i am just too curious. What is your opinion on this issue? Could that 4 cm (or 1.6") of beam being saved somehow without major changes of the stations? Otherwise would just be a great boat for the Croatian Adriatic Waters with their typical choppy conditions during the bora winds. Imagine to throw in my scuba equipment and take a ride to a nice drop off divespot. Appreciate your feedback.

Ingolf.  I don't want to be the one to convince you to build and then you have problems with your width.  However, as the boat sits now without the rub rail installed I believe she would be under your size limit.  The outer edge could be fared and finished with a thinner rub rail and come in under your limit.  Check with Graham for his thoughts.  I think it could be easily done. 

Hello Miyot;

Need to put a radius on the chines and transom so that the glass will go around. Some pushing and pulling of the foam Then ready for glass. Off on holiday next week with the family then to Florida the week after. Then I can hopefully get her glassed. You look like you are ready to go. The secret to a good glass job, cool temps, good preparation, lots of skilled hands and patience.

Everything looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!

PG 

post-2937-0-26680900-1374697933_thumb.jpg

post-2937-0-93547200-1374697939_thumb.jpg

post-2937-0-23921200-1374697946_thumb.jpg

post-2937-0-02568800-1374697953_thumb.jpg

Rounded the chine, transom and shear clamp today as well as did a little fairing.  One more day of sanding and I'm ready to tape the keel and chine.  I will build up the transom trailing edge after glassing as I read a rounded transom can cause performance problems.  I'll add small strips of glass and resin and build it back up and then grind it square.

I hope to be glassing the boat by sometime next week.  I am moving forward.  Your boat looks excellent.

Miyot