Ocracoke 24

Miyot

When they refastened boats they took the screw out and put in a bigger one or a bolt rather than just adding screws to the middle of the plank. That way the plank or frame didn't get screw sick. That is where I learned it. 

That has been the preferred method of knowledgable marine carpenters since forever. In the days of hand nailing a good framer knew when more was not better, same prinicple.  I just never heard the term "screw sick" I like terminology.  It helps people accurately converse, orally, or in forums like this.  I am glad to add that to my vocabulary.

Maybe someone could start a "glossary" thread for terms commonly used in the trade.  I have three different boat builder glossaries in my "Favorites" and still occasionally find a term, such as "beard line" that appears in none of them.

That could be fun, but not sure it would get a lot of posts.  People seem to require a specific and timely need to discuss things like this.  And unfortunately some people get offended when their choice of words is corrected.  And when using modern techniques for wooden boat building some of the old terms don't really apply, and this makes it even more confusing some times.  The misuse of floor is one of my pet pieves.

Glad you are part of this hijack Miyot.  Seeing as this is your thread I don't feel so bad.  ;)

How about ceiling, which actually refers to fore and aft planking on the inside of frames.  Not what's above your head.

This is definitely another one.

Deck and sole are different on boats.  A cockpit has a sole, as does down below (indoors).  In an inclosed hull, like a displacement sailboat, all but the cockpit is deck or cabin (coach house).  In an open boat with little or no deck, where you are standing on the bottom, or a false bottom, I really don't know what or if there is a proper name for it, or if it is a different name for each.  In an open boat with no flotation in the bottom I like floor boards to stand on.  Even with a false bottom they are often desirable.  In a power boat with a false bottom above the water line and scuppers is it called a sole too?

2 point bonus question:  Why are they called floor boards?

Deck and sole are different on boats.  A cockpit has a sole, as does down below (indoors).  In an inclosed hull, like a displacement sailboat, all but the cockpit is deck or cabin (coach house).  In an open boat with little or no deck, where you are standing on the bottom, or a false bottom, I really don't know what or if there is a proper name for it, or if it is a different name for each.  In an open boat with no flotation in the bottom I like floor boards to stand on.  Even with a false bottom they are often desirable.  In a power boat with a false bottom above the water line and scuppers is it called a sole too?

2 point bonus question:  Why are they called floor boards?

I'm game.  Because the boards actually sit on top of the floors?

Finally some progress. I have the core on the bottom. Chines are next. Then I am putting one layer of 18 oz cloth on the bottom. I can reach the center line now without the topsides in place. The core is not strong enough without the glass to even lean on it. I glued the pieces together using Gorilla glue. I also used the tooth pick looking things from Raptor. They worked great. 1" Raptor brads secured everything to the building jig. I have plywood covered with plastic and peel ply down the middle. It will make the center solid. 10 layers of glass before it is all said and done. I used the Penske board to fashion a stem. It was real easy to shape and it is rugged. I will put a false stem on later.

Chines this week and glass by the weekend if the universe stays aligned.

PG

post-2937-0-39915700-1369093545_thumb.jpg

post-2937-0-68063200-1369093549_thumb.jpg

post-2937-0-72768400-1369093553_thumb.jpg

post-2937-0-68241900-1369093557_thumb.jpg

Hey, thats a familiar shape.  I have something in my barn that looks remarkably similar.  I have finished my sheer clamps and my stringers are done as well.  I began fairing  my topsides yesterday.  I'll get some pics up soon.  I put an air conditioner in the barn yesterday.  Temps in the barn were pushing 90 in the late afternoon.  Fast hardener is out of the question now except for the smallest of jobs.  I think the air conditioner will keep things in the mid seventies.  

Where are you getting your fiberglass at if you don't mind saying?  I am ready to order and I'm looking  for 17oz bi axial.  I'd like to get some wider rolls of tape as well and can't find any 17oz any wider than six inches.

Your boat is looking good and your making good progress for as much as your working.  I'm really interested in your build and looking forward to seeing it progress.  Keep the pics coming.

Dave

Thanks Dave;

I am getting my products from Composite One in RI. Unfortunately it is not open to the public. I order everything through my friend. You can only get full quantities. For instance I am getting 200 lbs of 1800 0-90*. I will have to put it on a 45* angle to get my 0-45*. Should be almost enough to do the whole boat. I think 6" is about as wide as tape comes. You can have it cut but it is expensive. I am using the super slow cure. It is better when it is hot like you have it. It takes a couple of days to cure. I am no hero. I hate rushing. Especially when you are short handed or alone. The AC helps but you know the deal. Chines tomorrow then glass. Keep you Posted

PG

Miyot, 

Looks like your bottom planking will require very little fairing, it looks  to be beautifully smooth and fair. If I am not mistaken, you are using the Ashcroft method as I believe Graham design it?  Just curious, as many other builders of cold molded Carolina boats seem to advocate planking at almost right angles. I guess the Ashcroft method would be faster, any strength compromise?  Great build, I am hoping to pull the trigger someday, just have to temper my patience first. ;-)  

30inTrout

The reason for the foam is that here in the Northeast there is little market for a wooden boat. My background is mainly in composites. I am working very hard to hit design weight. I learned if they are to light they are faster but uncomfortable at rest. Price wise a little more expensive due to the multiple layers of glass. Speed of build maybe slightly faster. All what your use to I guess.

PG