belhaven 19 pics

crusty crab

Hi, The port and starboard V berths are 78" x 25", and the starboard quarterberth is 78"x24". Cockpit seats/guest berths :-) are 81" long. Was great to go aboard (still on trailer though) after 2.5 mos. no boats/dock&lift work/etc. due busted leg. Just got the Doc's ok yesterday. See ya on the water soon. Messabout at Graham's for sure. Rick

those are great pics , thanks a lot. that was just what i was looking for. i'm planing on building the

belhaven 19 . i only hope i can build mine to look that good.i think from those pics and the exterior

pics that i have seen, the boat will be perfect for my needs. i've ordered the study plans to get an idea

on the whole process. when i get the real plans and start to build, i hope i can get some pointers.

She's great little boat. I miss mine nearly daily. If I was going to have another small cruiser I wouldn't think twice about building another one.

It's roomy, safe, very capable trailer sailor.

Main thing in building one is it must be Yellow :D

Buy the Yellow paint first, set it on the shelf and everything else will fall in place. ;)

Mine was the first to be completed, so if you want it to be an original she must be yellow!!!!!!! :P;):)B)

my wife and had just discussed today the color i would paint her . she said she really liked the yellow, when she saw the pics. that's probably

the color we will go with.

i did have another question ... how many hours ,aproximately , did it take to build the belhaven?

did you stick to the plans or did you change some things? the reason i ask is we really like the way you have it set up in side.

Mine was pretty much to the plans inside with the exception of the steps. I made the bottom step just high enough that the porta potty would slide under it. The only thing I can recall not doing by the plans is I didn't add the bilge fin. Also I did the centerboard with about half of the lead. I really wouldn't want to pull anymore up than what I had, and the board always stayed down.

I also had around 325 pounds of ballast, at the time the plans called for 250

As for the Yellow paint, Epifanes! Epifanes! Epifanes! Epifanes! Epifanes!

You wont have any problems there. The easiest paint I have ever sprayed. Always great results. Of course I use their primer also.

As for time, My best guess is around 800 hours. You must remember it took me 2 1/2 years of spare time. So that comes to about 6 hours a week.

Rick did you ever get any professional made cushions made for her? That was really the only think I wanted to get done when I had her. My wife and I threw those together in one night before we made our first trip to the 10,000 islands.

I'm a believer in have the cushions made with 2 inches of medium density and 2 inches of low density on the top sandwiched together. Its soft but wont bottom out. A lot of people use only medium and that's great for setting but pretty darn hard for sleeping.

Graham needs to post some of the interior pictures on his web site for the Belhaven.

HI, In the process of getting estimates on the cushions from a local shop that's done a lot of cover work for me. Agree on the foam mix, We like firm bunks but softer than typical 3" cockpit cushions. Wondering how that tempur-pedic stuff would work as a top layer with a thinnish soft breathable cover? Will probably use tough sunbrella-like cover for the pilot berth though, as its normally just for storage. Actually plan to create a comfy seat in the forward end of the pilot berth too. Hope to have them done before I display her at Grahams presentation in Washington next month. Also a little stove that I think I saw in WB or SCA a bit back, or the neat one Wes just made, so I don't have to fire the barbie if raining. Will mention pics to Graham when he gets back from New England and can use your fine ones Now that I have two pretty good legs and Doc's ok to play boats again, took cushions, sails, and stuff out, and going to get her all cleaned up and get some sailing in before Messabout. You're new boat's coming along super - just not fast enough for you I'm sure. See ya soon. Rick

Hi,

I've been lurking around in the background for a while, find the Belhaven the most attractive option (except my wife says ours would have to be orange) for a trailer sailer.

Scott, thanks for the interior photos, that was one thing I had not been able to find anywhere else.

Want to ask a favor, Ric if you ever feel like posting some more interior shots, to show off the new cusions say, would love to see a photo or two with someone in the cabin, to get a feel for the scale of it. It still looks to be the biggest interior for a boat around the 20 ft length.

cheers

Simon.

• 4 months later...

Hi

I like that boat very much. Just thinking about taking her or the P22. For me I would not need the additional length of the P22, but I will not be far away from the security the P22 offers. Do you think it makes a (practical) huge difference in security between them? 

Maybe I easyly should build the Belhaven and add some ballast as shown sometimes....