sealing frames / marine plywood

pakalolo

.....for my knowledge base will the oil based polys from the other folks like Minwax Helmsmans Spar or Sherwin Williams products (so long as they are oil based) also work on the nylon?

Have any of you guys used any of the others products on nylon?

I don't know if either of those will work. But given how few products do I would be hesitant to try it.

Check the Do-it-best hardware web site. They sell it and will ship to a local D-I-B hardware store and you can pick up there. I got my last gallon that way. I have found it online too but I don't remember where. It can mailed but it just has to on the ground, by truck. They will not put it on a plane.

Another product that worked really well for me is Dura-Tuff. You will have to mail order it because it is very hard to find, but it tough! It's water clear and I prefer to spray it but I see no reason it couldn't be brushed. You will have to have good ventilation because it is strong product! I wear a respirator when I use it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Floatingbear, I used ZAR Ultra Fast Drying Polyurethane. I couldn't get it locally so I ordered it from here: http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productDetails.aspx?sku=2130004509

This is not an ACE Hardware store.

I got fast service and I think it was the best price I could find. 2 quarts is plenty. I mixed ZAR stain with it to get the color I wanted. I was able to get ZAR stain at my local ACE Hardware store. The carried the stain but not the ZAR poly, Go figure.

Well it's time to look through the yellow pages and make some more calls. The guy at the mom and pop lumber supply that I tried to give my business to can't come through on the baltic birch which turned out to be 5 X 5 once I talked to them face to face. The problem is they can't get it shipped one sheet at a time. I would have to buy $500 worth. And according to him most of the local cabinet shops are using the chinese crap. It's looking more and more like I'll be using marine grade pine and coating it with epoxy to enhance the stregnth. But I will keep looking for the BB!

Bear you could always drive up here...1/2'' 4x8's for $52. 5x5 for $30.... and 3/8'' 5x5 for $24

Liberty Hardwoods ships as far south as NW Ark....not sure where or what shop down their....You would think their'd be a supplier in Little Rock or Fort Smith.....

Originally virtually all exterior plywood sheathing wasDouglas Fir. As with all wood products supply and demand have made the use of other woods necessary. Now Southern Yellow Pine is being used, and for most intended purposes is equal.

I found this article on plywoods in marine use that you might find interesting. I have bought from this company for the last marina I worked for. http://www.mcilvain....-grade-plywood/

I also found this page on Baltic Birch: http://alliedveneer....ltic-birch.html You will find this quote below in that article

Q: What sizes does it come in?

The most common Baltic Birch size is 5'x5'. However, we are seeing much more 4'x8' available in the marketplace.

..... and coating it with epoxy to enhance the stregnth. But I will keep looking for the BB!

Just for clarity, epoxy alone does not enhance the strength. It would take something like fiberglass cloth with the epoxy to make it stronger.

I am curious. Are the frames in the pic's in your book marine grade fir?

Most if not all the photos are. I used it for long time but the quality got worse every time I bought it till I refused to sell my clients frames or boats made from it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read in some other forum that one fellow found that the 5'x5's and the 4' X 8 's he could get used different glues. The 4 X 8 having the better water resistance with its phenolic based glue. You might want to get the glue info from your supplier just to make sure. Scroll down to woodworx comment.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-13277.html

Lucky me, these guys are 20 minutes away.

http://www.exotic-woods.com/subcategory.aspx?s=baltic-birch-play

• 2 months later...