Two-Paw or Spindrift?

djmeaney

Having trouble deciding which dinghy would better meet my needs and figured it would be best to ask those most familiar with the designs.

Here's the background...

• The dinghy would be used primarily as a tender for my 19' O'Day Mariner -- so it would be towed and not stored on deck. So it should tow well.
  • It would typically be used to transport one -- maybe two adults -- or one adult and a couple of kids.
  • Don't think it would be used to haul a lot of stuff -- mostly people
  • Would also be used as a beginner sailboat for 13 to 15 year old kids.
  • I would like a nesting dinghy so that it will fit in the back of a minivan -- so largest model that would work is 9' Two-Paw or 9' Spindrift. Like the idea of being able to load it in the minivan or cockpit of the Mariner by myself.

I'm leaning toward the Two-Paw.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Dan

The Two-Paw will carry more load and the Spindrift will row and sail faster and point higher. Most people who choose a pram do so to get the most capacity for the length. A 9' Spindrift will hold 3 or 4 adults while rowing depending on size (of the adults) and conditions. It sails well with 2, works with 3 but very crowded. Only you can sort out the priorities.

no experience with a Spindrift, or a 2paw, but I towed a MiniPaw many many miles ( and am building a second ). If the 2 paw is anything like the Mini, that's what I'd go for, as a dinghy. I had over 500 pounds of people in my Mini, and still had lots of free board. It's quite a nice design. And very light, all things considered

Now if the primary use would be as a sail boat or sail trainer, then I'd go Spindrift.

I think the Spindrift will tow a lot easier than the Two-Paw because the Spindrift is designed to plane. I've towed a pram style dinghy and a Spindrift. There's a lot less tension on the towing line with the Spindrift. Since payload is not your top priority, I would recommend the Spindrift.

Thanks for responses. I rechecked the available space in the back of the minivan with just the rear most seats folded down (just in case there passenegers who want to sailing with me :) ), and it looks like only the Two-Paw 8 would fit comfortably.

So I'm leaning toward the nesting Spindrift 10. Figure I can stow in the van if there are no passengers, and I can car top if there are passengers, which means I'll also have help getting on the car. I presume the nesting Spindrift 10 is sufficiently rigid that it can be placed on the car top when it is assembled (not nested).

Thanks,

Dan

I presume the nesting Spindrift 10 is sufficiently rigid that it can be placed on the car top when it is assembled (not nested).

It is extremely rigid. My 9' Spindrift weighs about 70 pounds not including the sailing rig/gear. The 10 can't be much more. 2 lifting it onto the roof will be a breeze. If sailing is a key component in your decision making I think you have made the best choice. If you don't really need the nesting feature I suggest you build the conventional design. The side seats/flotation is a very nice feature when sailing. Like almost everything we discuss about designs, it is a matter of priorities. Sorting them out is your job. We can only offer perspectives to help confuse you ;)