One way to get out a stem

Charlie Jones

since the taper changes the bevel on the stem (of a Princess 22 at least) you cannot cut the bevel easily using a band saw. You COULD make a saw table where you could vary the bevel as you were cutting, but that's not really practical for just one piece. Here's another way to cut that winding bevel. I'm posting a series of pictures showing how I did it. This is only one way, but the oveer all time was about 2 hours doing it like this.

Here's the stem with one side finished, ready to finish the other. The bevel has been cut, using a band saw , to the angle of the small end. You can just see the line at the large end showing the bevel angle at the large end.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Joel- the stem and stem knee is very clear piece of yellow pine. I looked through the stacks till I found what I wanted.

The keelson is D grade, select Fir. All other cleating and stringering will also be fir. Trim wood most likely will be mahogany, although on my own boats I like Ash rather than Mahogany.