Clarification + Tip

jackO

Hi All, I know this might be petty, but can anyone tell me what Michalak means on his plans when he says "form 7 forward face, or bulkhead 10 forward face" which is the forward face? Is it the smooth plywood side of the form? Or the side with the sticks attached? Thanks

Here is a tip I found, I had a hard time finding wax paper at the store, so I tried the parchment paper for cookie sheets over the epoxy butt joints. Presto! No stick! when I did try some wax paper I had to peel it off the joint leaving lots of wax.

O.K. Tehani, and thank you for solving one part of my dilemma. It seems I'm missing a piece of this puzzle. I get the face forward line on the plans now means the face oriented toward the bow. What I'm still foggy about is which side of the form or bulkhead is the "face" side, the smooth plywood side or the side with the solid wood pieces at the edges for setting screws or nails, because if you choose the wrong face your form/bulkhead will be the width of the attached wood away from the forward face line causing inacurracies. An example would be the transom. If I turned the transom around so that the smooth plywood side was facing toward the bow I would not be able to get a nail or screw to hold the sides to it, as the solid wood pieces would be beyond the length of the side pieces. Thanks again for your input and time ;0)

Not familiar with Jim's plans-haven't built one of his boats.

But NORMALLY, the wooden parts on a ply frame or bulkhead, are towards the decreasing curve of the boat since a boat gets smaller as you go towards the bow, and again as you leave amidships and move aft. That is- from amidships, all bulkheads (frames) forward would have cleats on the front face. Those aft of amidships have the wood on the aft face.. That is so the beveling can be done on the wood part, not the frame. Usually the side towards amidship is the control edge. Also known as the "molded" face

The transom of course is a special case, since the plywood needs to be smooth on the outside

Hope this helps.

THANK YOU! Tehani. What you have explained is what I had always thought to be true, and sensical. From mid ship forward or aft the cleats would have to be the face because the other side is what you will eventually see. One little clarification of terms the forward face "line" does the face toe that line on the plans? divide that line(to help drive screws) or sit in front of that line? Now that I have found the face I want to make sure I put it in the right place since I have to cut a rear deck to length that will ultimately land on this bulkhead and be screwed down. Once again thank you!

almost always, the mold face, control edge or what ever, is the flat side, or smooth side as you call it. THAT edge goes on the line (almost always anyway) because THAT is the edge you cut the frame ( bulkhead) to when laying it out. That corner of the ply is the only TRUE point, corresponding to the station line on the plans. The edge with the cleating, or whatever, gets beveled (so the planking will lie fair) and is now smaller than the station line.