Weekender Rob Roy

markfitz

• 2 weeks later...

Their site doesn't have a whole lot of data about that drive setup (it is in the plans) but basically it is a trolling motor that has been hacked and sealed into a ply/foam/fiberglass chunk that looks like an outboards lower unit. Has a bolt hole in the top of it and a bracket on the transom so it hinges and can be quickly dropped or pulled. The plans don't call for a way to hold it down so it won't reverse too well.

You can find another motor option - and a pretty good build log - at the Weekender: Spirit site.

The simple system just had a jam cleat to hold the motor up, and when you wanted it, a flick of the line and a quick tap of the throttle and you were going. Simple, but not much reverse, unless you reached back and held the motor down.

A more complicated system was worked up which locked the motor, but released with the same simple pulling up of the line to lift the motor. Unfortunately, that system's on the boat and the boat is in Texas and I am not. I'll try to remember to take some shots when I'm back there next...

• 4 weeks later...