woodworking clamps

The truth is that woodworking clamps not exist without the existence of clamps in the first place because it is the clamp which holds the wood or the wooden parts together, without the clamps the wooden pieces would fall apart and it would be impossible to work with them. However some argue that there is always another solution for this and that is to glue the wooden pieces together in order to work with them.

While it is true that gluing the pieces together does the same job of holding the pieces or fastening them together with a clamp, but what happens after you are done working with the piece and you need to detach the pieces? It would not be pleasant or easy to remove the glue and even if you manage to remove them, they might leave behind some sticky and stubborn residue which mars the beauty of the wood. Hence woodworkers appreciate clamps a lot and they understand their importance.

A person once sold off all the articles of a workshop by advertising each article or tool separately. At the end of the first day, the person received a barrage of requests for the clamps. This goes to show how important the clamps are for woodworking and that these two go hand in hand and clamps are indispensable when it comes to woodworking. It is just that sometimes we fail to understand or realize the importance of these humblewoodworking clamps.

The clamp was likely one of the first tools used, probably in the form of wedge. In this vain, you can use dogs, pins and wedges instead of clamps for most things. Drill a couple of holes in a bench, insert a dowel in each, then use these to brace the part as a wedge is driven between another dowel and the part needing clamping.

VeraSacRifice, you blog doesn't have many styles of clamps listed. I have several not on your list. Is this your way of gathering traffic for your blog?

• 3 years later...

Furtrader, I did check with my cousin. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any of the wooden threaded  clamps. He said he never really liked them himself. While using them, he said " in order to get them really tight, you often had to tighten them as tight as you could, and then drive a wedge between the clamp and the piece being tightened.
Before checking further, I'd like to know you'll be visiting the forums . I do have a possible source for information locally. The "Lowell's Boat Shop" is a working museum which has been building boats continually since 1793. It is the oldest continually running boat building shop in the United States. I'm sure they would have what you are looking for.