What's wrong with this photo?

Ken_Potts

I laughed when I saw that stuff because I was under the impression that the veneers were supposed to be pretty much the same thickness throughout but now that I've looked at a few interpretations of BS 1088 on the interwebs I'm not so sure this stuff ISN'T up to the standard. The wiki page (Sorry - As an amateur I didn't want to pay to see the real standard) doesn't mention a specific number of veneers for 12mm plywood. It does say "Each face veneer shall be a minimum of 1.3 mm and not thicker than 3.8 mm" and "Each core veneer shall be no thicker than 4.8 mm". Now I'm thinking of taking a magnifying glass back to Bunnings and measuring the veneers just out of curiosity. It wouldn't make sense that this plywood would actually be BS 1088 because that would make it the only thing besides kangaroo meat that is cheaper in Australia than it is in the US. (And yes, kangaroo is quite tasty).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_1088

• 3 weeks later...

Just this week when attempting to sort out some addtional 9mm plywood I ran into this very same thing, 5 ply 9mm with fat inner cross grain layers with less than fingernail thickness face veneers. It was being sold as B.S. 1088 approved plywood. Even the faces had putty in them along the splintered thin grains. I don't know where we are headed with aquiring quality plywood unless we make out own using labor intensive methods of cutting solid stock and gluing it in certain narrower applications.

By the way Ken, how are things going down that way for a funny talking feller from a far away land?

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back to NZ from a trip to Europe - from warmth & sun to cold & wet.

Saw this topic... There is a huge amount of so called BS1088 plywood being imported from different countries, esp China. When I was looking for appropriate plywood for my build, I looked at a variety of different manufacturers. Yes, the low price of some is very tempting... but... how long do you want your new boat to last? I've decided to bite the bullet & pay the extra for Joubert BS1088 plywood. At least they have a proven track record in quality with external certification. Cheers!

Apropos marine ply I had been quite satisfied with Hydrotek meranti until recently when had need for more of the 4mm. The new supply noteworthy for a steep plunge in quality. Thin outer veneers and very weak inner core: I can snap it in two by hand. Measures .18 against the .15 old stock. Present project brought up short.

You would think San Francisco Bay area with all it 'marine life' would have some decent okoume in the thinner forms but alas not so.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been back to Bunnings now and I've discovered that I mislabeled the photo. That as actually 9mm ply, not 12mm. It matches Oyster's description exactly except I haven't seen any filler (which is interesting in that we're almost exactly on opposite points on the planet).

Hey Captain Oyster - Things are alright here. After more than a year out of work in Canberra (they don't like to hire foreigners for my line of work) I've moved to Perth and I'm working in the mining industry. I've been here for about 4 and a half months and my Beautiful Wife will be joining me in the next few weeks. Although I miss my boat desperately and have not replaced it yet, I've been crewing every other week or so on a homebuilt boat in the "frostbite" series of races. The boat is S&S 34 "Sulphur" and the captain (and builder) is a great guy. Never thought I'd enjoy racing, but I guess it depends on the company (my whole racing career up until sailing Sulphur was one Governer's Cup Regatta when I crewed aboard Dawn Patrol, so I've been good at choosing captains).

The waters off Perth are VERY different than in your neck of the woods and although it's beautiful here and lots of fun, I do miss the skinny waters of NC. I hope you and your Lovely Bride are well and happy. I gather it's been a hot summer so far - It's been a nice warm winter here :)

Any new projects on the horizon?

Good morning sir, ot good evening to you, IIRC. We had two weeks of intense heat with the humidity. Of course all the weather bunnies and broadcasters were telling us to walk around with fire extinquishers in hand for fear of spontaneous combustion you know.LOL! But alas I made it during that crisis period by fishing early am and coming home and yes using the little guy too. We dug clams too while we were at it.

DSC01250.jpg

I am also working on and have completed a custom mahogany windshield with some leftover stuff thats now almost extint here too. So I don't know what we will end up with in the area of quality hardwoods for such projects. Some people have used a lot of cherry for some interior projects and even black walnut too. But I don't think I will be doing one with either.

windshieldsweep.jpg

Good luck with your job quests as this country is still wallowing along in quick sand here. Keep in touch and send updates if you wish using the normal method if you wish.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...