Spindrift 10N Rear Seats

mjshp

I think this picture will help. I marked lines on the hull and cut the aft and hull pieces. Next I made half lap joints in the front of the side pieces and the inner part of the transome pieces. After gluing them in, I made the four other pieces with approriate half lap joints. A bandsaw makes this really fast. I glued it all together with thickened epoxy with that temporary cross piece to get the seats level. It set up with pleny of rigidity to scribe the front and side pies using a compass. The bottom of the hull is surprizingly flat at this point, making the fitting easier than I thought.

I glued in the front pieces and then I put the long side pieces on, clamping everything as best as I could. I used pretty thick epoxy to keep it from running. I used bricks to clamp the top. Make sure you coat the inside of the top and the inner parts of the tank with 3 coates of thin epoxy, because it really isn't possible to do this welll through a port, not matter how big you make it. I wound up going with 5" ports on the inner faces instead of the tops. Mine is an 11N.

Take Care,

Steve

Garry.....I've seen this pictures in the past and I like what you did. I decided to build the boat stock and make mods if I change the purpose. The one thing I don't like is the seat board being one extra thing to bring along. the mod you did and one other I've seen eliminates that, but moves the rower forward a good 9" or so. How does this all work out?

Take Care,

Steve

Actually, somethimes I wish I could move further forward when I have a passenger. On a previous nesting dinghy I had two rowing stations and a permanent fore-and-aft seat. You can just make out the seat in this photo. The forward portion is fixed and extends about 6" into the rear section. The rear portion drops in. You might be able to make out the two oarlock positions.

35088011.jpg

What I would like most for my 9N is the side ballast seats and for them to extend all the way aft like it the non-nesting version. I find there is no where but the bilge to sit while sailing in a nesting Spindrift. Not nearly as important, but a better place for a swivel block w/cam cleat for the main sheet would be nice too. But what it all comes down to is the importance of nesting. You will inevitably have to compromise on something if not several to make room for the forward section to fit in the aft. If I were building my tender now I would have one hell of a time deciding between sailing comfort and the occasional need/desire to nest. I think many people find the need or desire to be able to nest occurs less than first thought. "Damned because its all connected"