Progress...

Derek

I'd say it is looking real nice. Seems like more builders are squaring off the front of the cabin. At first, I didn't think I liked the look as much as the round but the more I look at it the more I like it. I just can't afford to build right now but I let my brother see some of the pictures of the boats recently and boy is he excited. Maybe I will get to help him, learn from all his mistakes and than I will be able to build one.

Keep up the good work is is look'n good.

Denis,

I styled the cabin modification after seeing Capt Jake's and Bruce Kershaw's (now John T's) modified cabins. The front (squared portion of the cabin) lies along the line that the very forward portion of the original cabin falls. The width was determined by basically just continuing the width of the side deck forward until it met the line of the cabin front. The cabin sides were also raised 2" (10"H at forward corners, running 10"H along both sides, the top curve of the cabin bulkhead was also 'flattened' a bit).

Advantages - never considered any, just done as a personal peference.

Disadvantage - once the modification began, the was no referencing plans any more for cabin rafters, etc. A lot of hit and miss and a few good uses of my moaning couch. :wink:

When I bought Bruce's boat, I felt that the square cabin was the only thing he did that I didn't like. But now that I've lived with it a while, I like it quite a lot. It makes the cabin a bit larger, and since I've cut about two feet off the original cabin that Bruce built, the extra space is most welcome. It really looks right to me, too.

Derek, you are definitely the man if you can make it to the show in two weeks! Your boat looks great, and your hatch cover is a lot like what I'm doing. I'm doing pretty much the same thing, but with cherry, and I have a second hatch on the cabin top, too.

Looks great!

Derek,

I think you should take your boat to the Oly show, it would certainly draw a great deal of attention as a work in progress. Put together some of your construction photos and post them with a few short comments and you would have a great display that could show a lot of people that this is a practical project that they could undertake. Take the Weekender construction manual and maybe the Weekender Construction video on a small TV/VCR and you would have a crowd. Would also be helpful if you were to show your costs todate as a part of the display. :wink:

Your's in progress and John's as a finished example of what is possible.

Lots of people see the finished projects and think they couldn't do that.

Heck, I could even be drawn into that to answer questions and help man the display. :D Not often that they get to see a boat of this type at some stage of construction. They can see some traditional frame type construction at some shows but I've never seen this type of construction represented at a show. Lots of people can relate! Besides it could give us some more sailing buddies around the area. :lol:

Can we say Puget Sound Fleet? :roll: Not on my watch most likely. :P

Barry, that's actually a pretty neat idea. Alas though, I have no means of getting it there. But to show them a work in progress, to see how easy the construction process is, would indeed, I think, be a stimulus to get other or potential builders going. A great idea indeed!

High C, no way will I make it in time. :wink: But I am hoping to maybe still see a summer (late) launching!

Well...still a good idea. I'd take mine but it is at that too far along, but not finished yet stage so it wouldn't make as good a display at this stage. I also have some restrictions on what I can do for several more months so dragging a trailer is out of the question for me right now. :(

I was ooooing and ahhhhhing about your cabin rafters so much to myself that I hadn't realized that you have 8 portlights in your cabin. My goodness! If some of them are opening, you will have plenty of ventilation for sleepovers. Cool! :D

You are making good progress. It is going to be a nicely executed project from the looks of things.

Lots of light, yes, until it struck me I have to make 16 frames now!!!! But I like the look. Opening ports - still playing with that one, figuring out best way to make one instead of buying one.

BTW - what size trailer do most folks get or look for? What do these fit on? Trying to keep my eye out for fixer trailers.

Well Derek,

In my humble opinion I see it this way. We live in paradise with places to sail galore. Now the challenge is this. If we only sail, (back the trailer into fresh water) we can get away with a painted trailer and lights/etc. that are not corrosion proof. If...however, we are going to be in and out of salt water too then we need more protection and a different set of criteriea in the long run.

I have had a series of trailers and have had both types. The hot dipped galvanized type (EZ-Loader is one example of both types) has distinct advantages in the long run from a deterioration/maintenance point of view. But you pay a premium for it.

If you find a used painted trailer, it should be checked for corrosion and just how bad the wiring and connections are. Not to mention the brakes, if it has any.

We have lightweight boats and Bass boat trailers are pretty good for our usage. Bunks and about 750# capacity with an overall length of about 18-19'. Avoid the little tires if you plan on going anywhere. Get the largest tires you can find and install bearing buddies if they don't have them already. The trailer will need to be modified to some extent for our use. We would want a channel for the keel to run up in and keep it centered. If it has rollers in the bottom of the channel it will make it easier. The bunks may have to be raised some to meet the hull bottom when it is at rest. The channel can be made up of pressure treated 2X4 and 2X6 stock.

I've seen some used Calkins trailers around here that were pretty inexpensive to begin with and once they are sand blasted down to bare metal and primed/repainted/ rewired they are pretty good solutions.

I bought one with a junker Reinell runabout on it for $125. Took the boat to the dump, tore it down to bare metal and disassembled it. Had all the parts sand blasted down to bare metal and my son is going to powder coat it for me and rewire it with waterproof/ corrosion proof fittings. He is also going to put a small power winch on it that will help me with loading.

Bait tank doors! :lol: My companionway doors, split in two with a 45 degree cut (for easy storage mostly).

OK, now a stupid question (limited boat experience) - if I see a trailer list as 16', is that a 16' foot long trailer or a trailer for a 16' boat? Most likely scenario of course.

OK...now we are talking about human foibles and quirks. One man's 16' trailer is just too short for anothers 16' boat. Got to have room for the boat ontop of the trailer. We also have a bowsprit to contend with. Mine just happens to be longer than specified ( not bragging) :lol: so I need a longer trailer. It is OK if my bow sprit extends above the trunk or bed of the car/truck I'm using, but if it extends too far it can present a challenge. It is also OK if the transom extends back beyond the rear of the trailer as long as it is safe and the capacity of the trailer is sufficient to match the boat. You are going to move the axle so you find the best balance point and tounge weight.

So to answer your question, it depends upon whether you are buying or selling I guess.

If I were you I would go to a new trailer dealer or two and take a photo of the boat with you and show them what you are talking about. Also have a weight figure in mind and then see what they recommend and how much it will cost. Gives you a reference. That will help a lot when you look at used trailers.

Oh... I figure that my $125 trailer when ready will cost me about $500. But my son is donating his labor since he is going to be pulling the Weekender a lot and it is important to him that the trailer and boat match. :roll: And it helps that he has access to powder coating equipment. :D

Mine just happens to be longer than specified ( not bragging)
:lol::lol::lol:

Good plan. I'll get some good ideas from a couple dealers then I can watch the ads closer. I have time anyways. Still have to figure out what to tow it with also! Right now stuck with a PT Cruiser or 65 Olds Cutlass. Of course the marina is only 3 blocks away.

Now, if I could find a used trailer AND a used garden tractor... a sawz all and some duct tape... (too much Red Green!) :lol::lol:

Darek

Your last comment sounds like what is happening here. I purchased a trailer for $50 and it came with a 14' thompson wooden boat that has rotted out all along the bottom and all the ribs are rotted so there is no way to repair it. It did have a lot of good mahoganyin the seats and the top half of the transom. I will remove all the usable mahoganyfrom it then cut it up for fire wood. I will have to replace the hubs in the trailer and may have to extend the toung. It is a good price even with the upgrades to it as hubs cost a minor amount about $45 for hubs and bearings. I have the parts for lengthing the toung.

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal Pat, even with the extra work. I'll hunt a deal up somewhere along the line here I'm sure.

Actually heading out to our home on the point here, I've noted a few homes along the way with a pretty dilapidated (sp?) boat on a trailer, all look in the 18'-24' range. Perhaps soon, I may stop in at a couple and make them an offer on the works.