It's been a while...

markfitz

I haven't been here in a while and it looks like the forum has changed quite a bit. I must be blind because I couldn't find a "search" button. I'm trying to figure out the recommended outboard for a weekender, and some possible mounting techniques. Is there still a way to search? Thanks.

For some strange reason the search bar has migrated up and is 95% hidden under the browser window header. Peek at top right and you will see a hint of the bottom edge of the search bar. You may be able to search by using Google Advanced search and pasting the forum url in the proper line.

A Weekender doesn't need much by way of HP in an outboard. I'd opt for a 5 HP with reverse and neutral as this convenience is worth more than any other feature. 2 HP is all you really need, but the ability to kick it into reverse, without the dancing contest on the aft deck trying to flip it around, while unfouling a sheet, is a wholesale welcome.

I use 2-stroke 2hp (Yamaha) and 5hp (Mercury) on my Weekender.

My observations: 2hp looks more proportional (didn't I choose the Weekender because it's such a pretty boat?); it's lighter; moves the Weekender adequately (3~4 kt) in calm and medium waters; will struggle in bigger waters. To make it easier to steer from the cockpit I made appropriate bends in a length of PVC pipe as a tiller extension. In close-quarters maneuvering where you have to go in reverse, you will need to be sitting on the aft deck anyway to shift gears, so swinging the motor around is not that big an issue with me. I leave the crew to unfoul any sheets.

5hp (especially with an integrated fuel tank) looks over-sized for the scale of the boat; it's heavier (especially if using a remote tank and carrying more gas); will move it 5~6 kt; can hold the course while banging into sizable waves. A tiller extension also helps make motoring more comfortable.

Issues: Short shaft motors like mine need to be mounted low or on an adjustable OB bracket because the prop can clear the water when cresting big waves or when the crew is on the fore deck handling the sails or the anchor. There should also be enough clearance to tilt the motor easily (5hp needs to be mounted farther away than a 2hp to clear the top edge of the transom). And far enough outboard on the narrow transom so the rudder doesn't get chewed by the prop when motor-sailing (first-hand experience).

For daysailing around the lake, I find the 2hp more than adequate. For extended cruising-camping along the seacoast, I use the 5hp as insurance for those times when the wind kicks up.

Good advice, thanks. I have an ancient Elgin short shaft that I believe is 1.5 hp that runs like a top and would probably look right at home, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be. We currently have an electric trolling motor with wiring to a battery in the center of the boat under the hatch "seat" and since we are looking for something to get us off the lake if the wind kicks up or a storm sneaks in, we were thinking the extra hp would help.