CS20 mk.2

Designer

Got her re-sprayed! Much better. No runs but a little "dusty" looking. I can live with that.

Here are some pictures of the re-spray job plus one of the glass and epoxy "bushings" built up on the mast sections.

post-1823-0-62643800-1348164660_thumb.jpgpost-1823-0-18554900-1348164582_thumb.jpgpost-1823-0-97328500-1348164593_thumb.jpgpost-1823-0-13910600-1348164629_thumb.jpg

As of today, first coat of exterior varnish is done and mast sections are put together.

so now that you have the cabin top up, how is sitting headroom and general lounging? I don't mind a small cabin, but I need tobe able to get comfortable with a book and wait things out. It looks as if it may be possible to lean against the back of the cabin, but maybe not against the sides with the narrowed cabin.

I can't wait to actually see it.

Take Care,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all---just checking in. I've got most of my hardware from Graham now and am in the process of rigging-her-up. Waiting on the sails and the cushions are on order and promised in time for the mess-about. Still working on sprits and other misc. stuff. Hope to fit the trailer this coming week. Maybe the interior will be done in time---maybe not---too many things keeping me from putting enough time in on the boat---"life keeps gettin' in the way"!

That's about it for now. i'll get some more pictures later next week.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking and Graham's drawings and thinking about this boat a lot.

Are you putting handrails on top of the cabin for going forward (to anchor, reef sail, lower mast for a bridge, attach tack of staysail)?

I would be interested to hear about how well you are able to carry out these tasks single-handed.

This has gotten me all excited about another build!

Doug,

I've got a companionway hatch on mine and can hold onto the sliding rails that go most of the length of the cabin top. I may also add a short handrail forward. In addition, I have a bow pulpit, and will be adding a railing from it back to the cockpit. most people wouldn't want that, but I'm a bit "clummsy".

I don't plan on a staysail, but have the "big" sails with full length battens. Reefing is done from the cockpit, don't need to go under low bridges much, but don't see any problem on this if I do. Anchoring shouldn't be a problem either. I didn't have any of these problems on my Princess sharpy, and this boat is rigged about the same.

Hopefully I'll have pictures in the next day or two. I've been rushing to get done ror the mess-about and haven't taken time to take pictures.

Will you be at the mess-about? If so, you can check her out about these questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no camera. Out for a sail yesterday--had a few "bugs". Main sprit isn't long enough. Cockpit has water coming in the drain tubes at low speed (three people in cockpit---one steering, the other two at forward end of cockpit). Easy to lengthen sprit, but gonna have to talk to Graham on the drains. VERY light air--hardly a ripple on the water. Weather channel said wind at 4 knots. Boat ghosted along great.

Lifting up the mizzen mast and dropping it into the hole is a bit touchy. But then I have lousy balance, especially as I get older and clumsier. I may have to rig it on a tabernacle like my Princess 22 sharpy had. Main mast (on a tabernacle) goes up very easy. All the rigging works as expected. Boat seems to balance just right---at least as far as I can tell in the light air.

Today I started lengthening the main sprit. I'm scarphing in a section in the center using a seven to one scarph. Maybe better to make a new sprit but I didn't have enough decent wood to do that. the scarph should be fine. It's out of the same piece of pine as the original sprit so it won't much be noticeable.

That's all the news for now. Next sail will probably be at the re-scheduled B and B mess-about (with the longer sprit). See y'all there.

Cockpit has water coming in the drain tubes at low speed

Next sail will probably be at the re-scheduled B and B mess-about (with the longer sprit). See y'all there.

Depending on the location of the drains, I've used clamshells to good advantage

Clamshells!! http://www.discountm...hell_Vents.html

Hope to see your boat at the Messabout

GOOD NEWS---GOOD NEWS !!!

We found the camera! I'll get some pictures and post them tomorrow.

By the way, here is a picture showing my cockpit drains (scuppers?). They run from the cockpit back through the transom at a slight inward angle as viewed from above, and lay directly against the inside of the hull bottom. I'm guessing that the lee scupper goes below the waterline as the boat heels.

Posted Image

Here they are, y'all. Some new pics.

post-1823-0-94382600-1351703402_thumb.jpgThis is the splice in the main sprit. Still needs epoxy and varnish.

post-1823-0-03127600-1351703460_thumb.jpgMizzen sprit in chocks for trailering. Will have straps to hold it down.

post-1823-0-38776900-1351703502_thumb.jpg"Iron wind" Seems like everywhere I launch, there is a narrow channel with the wind blowing in the wrong direction.

post-1823-0-08758600-1351703543_thumb.jpgPulpit and anchor roller salvaged from a junk boat. Also shows support for mizzen mast while trailering.

post-1823-0-19730600-1351703593_thumb.jpgAnchor rode around tabernacle-scuff strips.

post-1823-0-30722100-1351703636_thumb.jpgHole at the bottom of the cockpit is the scupper.

post-1823-0-24981500-1351703649_thumb.jpgBridge for lines for main sail control. Halyard, down-haul, topping lift, first reef tack down-haul.

post-1823-0-29468300-1351703677_thumb.jpgGallows for masts and main sprit while trailering. Gallows "telescopes" down so it won't interfere with mizzen sail..

Anything else you want to see? .

Edited by Chick Ludwig