CS20 mk.2

Designer

These quibbles had nothing to do with the boat, which I like a lot. Chick and Graham have a winner.

It never bothers me when someone thoughtfully evaluates a boat, idea, design, etc., even mine. It is through honest opinions well worded that we all learn, or at least learn of other points of view. Even if we disagree on the details.

• Like 1

Chick, here are a couple photos of Lapwing and the sail sheet rigging. The main sheet is double ended and the two swivel cleats are able to swing around so that you can control the mainsheet from anywhere in the boat. The mizzen sheet is rigged a bit different from the picture because I found that a two part sheet is needed for power. The end of the sheet is connected to the sprit, runs through a block on a short traveler over the tiller, back up to the sprit and follows the path shown to the swivel cleat just aft of the mizzen mast. I did move the eye strap higher on the mast to a point just below the snotter location. The sheet guide shown on the sprit was made by heat forming a small section of PVC pipe.

Several other people use a similar mizzen sheeting arrangement. Advantages of this system is that you always know exactly where the sheet is, they can be quickly and easily operated from anywhere you may be in the boat and cam cleats are much more reliable and easier to operate than clam cleats. The only disadvantage I am aware of is the cost of the swivel cleats. I was able to fabricate two of these fro my parts box and the third one was on hand.

post-162-0-82550400-1352602984_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-96050300-1352603083_thumb.jpg

Not so much cheap, maybe just craftsmen, that prefer their own way, rather than feed the profit margin of some company. I can make a setup like that, faster than it takes to drive to the local marine parts store to buy one and the fraction of a the cost thing, helps too. Besides, mine looks as good as any one you can buy, plus I can alter the angle, to be a perfect lead for the application, which isn't the case with many of the manufactured units.

• 3 months later...

All this EC makes me wan to get started building a CS20 MKII. How are the plans coming? I am trying toe rearrange a business trip and do the OkoumeFest Ultra Marathon 2013 in my Spindrift 11N or my Sea Pearl 21 (yeah I know, but it's a great light wind boat!).

Take Care,

Steve

The plans seem very very complete.  I just got my Core Sound 20 mk2 plans and the whole boat cut into more than 100 pieces, cnc cut as a kit from the designer himself. Never been so glad, as I just got back from the EC ultramarathon, and got to see Paul's 20 ft Core Sound and the high tech Core sound 17 as well.  The plans are on paper, many pages, very detailed explanations, plus there is a bonus cd with specific build photos of the mk2, as well as another section of photos of core sound build process.  I have built 2 20 foot expedition rowboats, but this is my first build from plans, and I am floored at the quality and detail level of the Core Sound 20 mk2 that the designer has put together.  By the way, you should see how nicely the pieces were cut.  Angles and bevels galore.

This forum sure has some cheap skates, albeit clever ones :P

Me cheap. I priced double blocks for a catamaran mainsheet and said, no way. Built my own. Two years into the drill and they still work just fine. Knocked together a swivel block & cam cleat as well but decided not to install it since cleating the main on a very light (165#) cat is kind of risky for novices.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What happened to the Mk2?

Having seen the Mk3's (Doug's 20 in the water and the 17 in the shop) at the Mess-About, I was impressed with how much cabin could be gotten into those fast, light hulls.

But I love the big cockpit and more traditional looks of the Mk2 and the Stewarts' Dawn Patrol. I'd love a boat that size, but my garage is 19'6" inside so storage would be an issue.

Have any plans been drawn for a CS17 Mk2? I suppose one could add a cabin and water ballast to a CS17, but what about that extra freeboard? That extra deadrise?

I asked the same question of Graham last January: "Where is the 17 Mark 2?"  He said that the Mark 3 is parallel with the 20 Mark 3, so it would be confusing to have the design called Mark 2 in one length and Mark 3 in another length.  So there is no 17 Mark 2.  There is only one 20 Mark 2 (and, I think, another set of plans out there).