Progress Update !

Denis Goyette

:D Hi Guys !

Today I Attached the the Deck to the keel and the transom.

It seem like I am about 1/2 inch too short on top of the stem.

I took the angle of the bulkhead and it seems alright(93 degree)

I also have attached the cabin bulkhead.

Tommorow I will start the mast box.

I will have pic soon.

Denis :lol:

Good for you Denis! That marks a good miletone of progress. Did the bottom pull down tight to the keel OK?

Remember to check the front bulkhead angle at a point equal to the dimension (thickness) of the mast box (5" in front of the bulkhead).

That is one place that some builders have a little confusion. :?

It does make a difference in the angle of the mast when you get the mast box installed. It may be a small difference but it is a fairly critical angle. Too much of an angle at that point and the mast top will be too far back, too little of an angle and the top of the mast will be too far forward. This will have an adverse effect on handling. Just a little bit at the base will make quite a difference 15' up in the air.

Keep on working at it. And yes...we all like to see progress photos. :D

Congratulations!

This step was an exciting one when I was there a few weeks ago. It starts to look like a boat. Good luck with what is next, good advise about the mast box ...guess I should have done that. Also paint in the foredeck compartment and the transom/lazarette before you put the sides on. Of course as I have not completed my weekender I am not exactly one to give much advise, but it's in fresh memory and this is what people have told me. Working on whatever you want in the front (I am making a battery mount up there) and on the steering is a wise idea as accessability in the future will be severely limited as to what it is now. Good Luck with the boat!

Tyler S. Drown

Remember to check the front bulkhead angle at a point equal to the dimension (thickness) of the mast box (5" in front of the bulkhead).

That is one place that some builders have a little confusion. :?

My english is failing me, I am not sur I understand how to check the angle.

??? :?

Denis

Denis,

I was afraid that this might be a confusing area. Lets see if I can make it a bit easier to accomplish.

If you were to have the mast box installed and then measure the angle at the front of the mast box to the bottom of the boat it should equal 93 degrees. But since you don't have the mast box installed it might be easier to cut a square corner off of a scrap piece of plywood with all the corners of the piece cut to 90 degrees (so it is square) this can set in front of the bulkhead on edge with on the centerline of the bottom. Then measure the angle between the front of the square piece of plywood and the bottom of the boat. It should be 93 degrees, and it will be 5" in front of the bulkhead.

Or you can make up the mast box and place it temporarily in place against the front of the bulkhead and then measure the angle to the bottom at the front surface of the mast box to the bottom. That is the 5" in front of the bulkhead as well.

The reason we measure at that point on the bottom versus at the front edge of the bulkhead is that the bottom of the deck curves up as it gets closer to the bow. So the angle at the front edge of the mast box to the bottom will be different than the angle at the front of the bulkhead to the bottom.

I hope this helps. I will try to post a little sketch of what I mean as well.

Barry

Now you have me thinking and I am not sure where I made that measurement I hope that I did it right. I know the mast box did not fit tight to the bulkhead. I had to put a spacer in place to make it fit the angle of the mastbox. It looks right in the pictures that I took. I will have to go out and climb under it to check if I did it right as the boat is upside down and just about ready for paint.

Hey guys don't panic if it isn't the right angle after you have installed it and closed things up. Most anything can be compensated for if you understand the tricks to make it work. :roll:

When you get all finished and are ready to do your mast, we can correct it in the mast base section so no one will ever know it was a mast box problem. Just make a note and hang it on the wall to ask how to straighten it up or make it lean more. We'll share those secrets with you when the time comes. :lol:

Really, It is one way to correct or modify mast rake and it is accomplished with relative ease. :wink: