Wood Finish?

Aethyr

I would think that the corners underneath the stringers would be the area most likely to have water siphoned into them and is the least breathable location, so most worrisome area for rot. Then again, the lash holes might be problem areas as well, with no way to get into it with finish. Maybe drip in some candle wax?

I think I read on this forum sometime ago where someone painted those areas with epoxy, maybe it was all the end grain areas. Not a bad idea, especially if you live in a real humid area. I live in the desert, so I didn't worry about it much. I well coat my next one with linseed oil before assembly and again after it is assembled just to make sure all areas are covered.

P.S. Thought I would come back and add another thought about the wood finishing. I oiled my floorboard when I applied oil to the rest of the boat. Kinda wish I had varnished them instead. I have dirty foot prints on them already from the one or two times I have gotten into the boat and the prints don't wipe off the oil finish.

Next time your by WalMart, pick up a cheap box fan. They're usually around $15 bucks or so. When you get home from a day of paddling, drain all the water out that you possibly can, prop the boat on its side, and place the fan in front of it and leave it overnight. It will completely dry out the inside. We used this trick with our whitewater boats and it worked great. There wasn't a rot problem with the plastic boats, but a STINK problem if you left it wet after use. The fan will wick out any moisture in the nooks and crannies and leave it nice and dry for the next time.

I used polymerized tung oil which I thinned with a citrus solvent. I put the first coat on at 1:1, and the second and third coat at about 3:1 ratio. Applied it with a foam brush and wiped off after about 15 mins. Let it dry for about 24-36 hours between coats. Seems to be looking good, but I may put on another coat or two before I start skinning.

It was me who epoxied the end grain in the notches before lashing. I also coated the frames in oil before assembly. Then oiled the whole thing after lashing. I would be careful about using too much oil. It could end up not drying well and become a magnet for dirt and make a real mess later. It could also bleed through the skin and mess up the paint job.