CS 17 284 Where the heck does this stuff go?

Jim Stumpf

Did you end up getting stuff from B&B or rolling your own package from other sources?

I put together my own rigging package, most of which came from Duckworks. I have a pretty good feel for the set up from the plans, I was just wondering if any one had any upgrades or revisions to the stock plan.

JIm

My mizzen sheeting set-up is different from the plans. It's set up so it's a single-ended system instead of double-ended as shown on the rigging diagram. The sheet dead-ends in an eyestrap on at the clew, goes down through a block on a small rope horse above the tiller, back up to a block at the clew, up the boom to another block mounted on the bottom of the boom about even with the mast, down to a turning block on the thwart, and finally through a camcleat on the thwart. This keeps the tail of the mizzen sheet centered at all times. I don't know if it's any better than the double ended system, however. I'd like to try it the 'right' way to see if I like it better.

My mainsheet is as per plans. The only issue is that sometimes I run out of tail on one side and have to stop sailing for a few seconds while I go down to the other side to gain some slack to allow trimming and easing on the windward side. It's just part of dealing with double-ended sheets, I suppose. The advantage of double ending the main sheet far outweighs this minor hassle I think. And if I'd be a little more attentive, it wouldn't be a problem at all.

I'd like to double end the snotter on the main someday once I'm able to figure out an elegant way to do it that gives enough purchase.

I changed both the sheet arrangements on the CS-17 I built. The main still is double ended, but terminates on two swivel block/cam cleats (home made) on either side of the mizzen thwart hole. The mizzen is now a single ended whip tackle that comes back to the mast and down to another swivel/cam cleat, mounted just aft of the mizzen hole centerline. This places both sheets in the same relative location and prevents fouling the rudder head, in all but the light air.

Do you find having all those tails concentrated around the middle of the thwart leads to any more tangles?

I have mine rigged the same way. I never have problems with the main and mizzen sheets getting tangled as the mainsheet sits either side of the centrecase forward of the thwart and the mizzen is aft of the thwart.

post-425-0-23158500-1334179312_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter HK

Is there still a traveler or horse on the aft deck with a traveler block that the sheet runs to before it heads forward to the thwart cleat?

Here's a photo of how mine is rigged. The red line on the transom acts as a traveller...the block is attached with a quick release clip as the sheet stays with the boom for trailering. You can't see in the photo, because of the sail, that the sheet runs through a fairlead under the boom and then to the block on the mast and down to the thwart.

post-425-0-75943800-1334183393_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter HK

My arrangement is similar, though the main sheet swivel/cleat blocks are wider apart, to make room for a rower's butt. Shown are the main sheet swivel/cleat assemblies, with the raised floors slats in place. Very simple to make and a lot less costly then the store bought units. Also note the completely closed top centerboard case. No spitting or arm sticking through, so the whole forward cockpit area is available for stretching out, without protrusions.

post-304-0-44232500-1334194603_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-92477100-1334194616_thumb.jpg

The mizzen block/cleat assembly isn't yet mounted, but it lives on the centerline at the very aft end of the thwart and rides between a rower's legs.

I missed the mid boom block in my minds eye

Actually it's not a block, but one of these that I bent to fit on my tubular aluminium boom.

post-425-0-20359600-1334209348.jpg

I tried one without the eye at first but the sheet caught in the corner. The one with the eye works well.

Cheers

Peter HK

Hey Peter,

Do you find that the attachment point mid boom adds stress to the boom? We built birdsmouth sprits and am wondering about the forces at work.

Thanks for your thoughts, Jim.

Should have reread Peters quote, there is no stress mid boom, just a fairlead leading the sheet to the mast. I am a little slow on the uptake...kept picturing a mid boom sheet set up and disregarded the note that the sheet continues on to the mast

The only difference between Peter's set up and mine is on mine the block to turn the sheet down to the thwart is attached to the boom instead of the mast. It does tend to pull the forward end of the boom down when deeply reefed. If this makes any difference, I don't have any data. Attaching mine to the mast isn't a bad idea, though.

If you look closely at this picture of me sailing double-reefed, you can see the mizzen sheet coming down in front of the leech of the main. You can also see the little horse over the rudder.

06012832706533292102.jpg