Introduction

DaveOnCudjoe

Greetings All,

I have followed your forum since meeting Graham and Fred at the Everglades Challenge in '05. I'll be building a Birder 2 soon and am in the process of replacing the rig on my Sea Pearl with one similar to that of a Core Sound design. I've no doubt that as questions arise this forum will be the place to find the best advice. Thank you in advance, Dave Combs aka DaveOnCudjoe

Chris, The big differance is that the Sea Pearl has boom footed sails in place of the sprit rig the Core Sound series uses. The absence of a boom allows the sails to be carried lower and allows a down haul to tension the luff which can be simpler than tensioning a halyard. I think in these small boats changing snotter tension can provide better sail shape adjustment than the options of a conventional rig with a boom. Sea Pearls are relatively narrow for their length and have round chines which gives a fairly tender boat. The lower the CE the better for this design in my mind. Dave