CS 20 photo update

Rob Blackburn

Easter has got in the way this week.

Have put a few shots on page to show next steps. Curving the line of the seats in the cockpit to follow the chine at the back to give back a bit of seat room at the expense of foot room.

Also toying with the idea of having the rear seat half way ie 100mm higher than the line of the cockpit seats to give more storage. We felt we probably would not sit back there unless it was very light conditions so should work fine. Planning to chamfer the transition from the seat to the higher level to make it look less odd.

Boat a lot more rigid now and after the seat verticals going in we are going to tip it over to sand, tape and put on the keel.

Got the mast sorted out. We can't get quite that grade of aluminium but it apparently hardens itself from the T5 we get to the T6 in the specs over time. God knows how or why but that is what was told.

Rob

http://homepage.mac.com/blackburns/BOAT_PHOTOS/Menu27.html

Rob,

I agree with the wider seat! with my more than ample self, I find the seat in my CS 17 just a little snug. It's fine when really sailing, but when just loafing along I'd like more sitting options.

If I were building a 20 I think I'd still have the lazarrett, but I'd arrange the seat so I could sit facing forward with a short backrest. (Maybe folding?) It's nice to have two really comfortable sitting positions.

You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think..

mmmmmm...... well it is hard to admit to a big stern but. Yes, I think it will be an advantage to have it wider.

I am not sure of the rear half lazarette effect. I can see myself hunched squinting into the blinding sun in summer with the wind from the stern... (a bit poetic!) but seriously... Or even like Shackleton taking his turn on the helm in the Southern Ocean.. (I reckon I have lost touch here)

I always find myself perched on the gunwhale and I think that you might as well accept that and build accordingly.

It is all fun and whimsy at the end of the day.

Cheers

Rob

Rob, A few thought from a another boat in progress...

I figure I spend most of my sailing time sitting on the rail, so I made the side decks about 6" wide at the minimum. This shortened up the seat space, which I made about an inch wider. The wider side decks put alot of lever arm on the hull side, causing flex when I sat on the deck, so I built gussets that run from deck to the bottom of the hull in three places. The deck is plenty stiff now.

I am planning inserts to span the gap between the seats and the centerboard trunk turning the entire front of the cockpit into a flat space useful for lounging around or sleeping.