Curlew questions

Rex Maddy

Hi Jeff,

I'm still thinking about buying the curlew and was wondering how much of the skin it would need.

I am thinking of the dacron, because it doesn't stretch when wet. I am also considering the nylon because it is stronger and I have read that it can be wet and cool when you stretch and sew it and that helps it stay tight. Have you found that to be true?

Anyway it doesn't seem like the skin is a part of your pricing and I would like to know how much more

is required than is included in the delux kit. By the way, I am thinking of making more than one and would be happy to pay the $25 for each repeat as I go.

Is there anything else beside the Keel (center timbers) and the hatches and the skin that is added to the pricing?

Rex Maddy

rvmaddy@comcast.net

I made this a different thread since it didn't have anything to do with Cotton Row.

Fabric is listed in the store separately because it would take way to many options to list all the kits with different skin options for each boat.

Order 1 foot longer than the boat, for a Curlew that is 16'.

Which skin is a personal choice but I only use the 12 oz nylon on a boat that will see a lot of rough use. I have found the dacron to be adequate for most everyone. If you paddle rough water or are just rough on a boat then I would go with the 12 oz nylon.

I have never been able to keep nylon from going to slack regardless what I did. Over time it get to where it loosens less, but it never stops.

Order 1 foot longer than the boat, for a Curlew that is 16'.

For the Freebie 12 this 1 foot extra rule was barely enough. I had to play around with locating the material to make sure it would work at both ends. For the Curlew it was plenty, much less care in lay out was necessary.

Jeff,

I just ordered a Curlew (Delux Kit) and in the excitement I forgot to order the skin. It is in a separate order that followed right after, hope that doesn't cause confusion with shipping and if you can put it all together to save some on shipping it would be nice.

Dave Finnegan - thanks for your reply and I have learned a lot by reading the forum, contributions from you and Jeff. I can use a lot of advise as I go through this build. I had "ballistic nylon" in my mind when I started thinking of SOF, so that is what I went with this time. Maybe I will try the dacron later.

As for shipping, please don't have it arrive before April 2. From what I have read that could be the earliest it might be shipped, but we are going to have interruptions before that time. Thanks for the website, I am getting familiar with it and it makes sense.

Rex Maddy

Rex, just wanted to say, glad you are here and good luck on your build. Building one of these kayaks is one of the most fun projects I have done. It is pretty straight forward and with the help I received here and watching the videos Jeff has at his site, it all came together. The greatest part about bulding this type of boat, for me anyway was not having to mess with epoxy! No sanding of epoxy!!!! Fact there is very little sanding required on the whole project. Have fun, ask questions, I never got laughed at with all the questions I asked. Keep us posted with progress pictures.

As for shipping, please don't have it arrive before April 2. From what I have read that could be the earliest it might be shipped, but we are going to have interruptions before that time. Thanks for the website, I am getting familiar with it and it makes sense.

I am usually a little high on the shipping on kits. But that is on purpose so I don't loose money and I refund any difference But the way the PO keeps changing rates who knows! I saw the separate order and that is no problem. They will go together in one package.

I am actually pretty well caught up so should have your kit together by the end of the week or first of next week. But I will be glad to hold off shipping if that is what you want.

I will be gone on the 24th of March (next Saturday) so if you could ship it early next week it might make it before I leave.

It would be great to have it before I leave so I can start building right away when I get back. I guess it bepends on how many days for the shipping - Indiana is not that far away.

Rex